South Africa Trip

Djemba_Villan

Hi everyone, first time asking advice on here, but given the collective air miles across the site it seems a good place to start.

My mate and I are planning a ~2 week trip for Oct/Nov this year. To be conducted within a £1300-£1800 budget, original options were India, Japan and South Africa.

I've got a good idea about any potential itinerary for India and Japan. But for SA I'm toying between options.I like to put forward 3 well thought out ideas, therefore I have two questions:-

a) Is my overall itinerary sensible:-

Lon - Cape Town then 2 days there.

Garden Route for 3-4 days

Overnight train from Port Elizabeth to Jburg

Fly from Joburg to Maun

~7 days around the Okavengo Delta/Victoria Falls area

Back to Joburg - Home.

I'd planned to do the trip largely using 2 hire cars (one for the garden route, one from Maun).

B) I've head about some camping safari tours for Botswana which cover Okavengo/Chobe NP and Victoria. On forums I only see some priced at £~£4/500 mentioned but while searching I can only find some for £1k. Does anyone have any knowledge in this area?

I should note, were not afraid to slum it and happy to drive/train for ages.

Thanks guys.

slum it you say  .. you want the Blue Train :)

not been to SA but judging by the number of Yarpie friends I have living over here it must be a shit hole :)

I used  Exodus in the UK for a trekking / camping trip one time , they have some good itineraries on their web site that might give you an idea of what can be done . their prioces seem high but include flights , but it's more to give you some ideas

• Like 1

Ignoring Tony's comments re SA - it's a absolutely stunning place to go. I have been there many times and love it.

Firstly remember it's cheap compared to the UK at least. The exchange rate at the moment gives you a lot more for your pound. Your itinerary looks pretty good and starting off in CT is probably a good idea if you have never been before, personally I would try and add at least another day to the 2 days you have allocated - remembering you land in the morning after and overnight flight. There are some stunning scenery and cultural places to visit around there. Driving around is pretty safe if you are sensible and they drive on the "correct" side of the road :-)

Not doing Durban?

If you want I can ping one of my mates who used to own a small hotel in CT and now lives in ZAM for advice?

Edited by drat01
  • Like 1

Surely it was obvious It was a light hearted joke .... I went out with a South African for about a year I'm sure that permits me a small joke on the subject

Surely it was obvious It was a light hearted joke .... I went out with a South African for about a year I'm sure that permits me a small joke on the subject

was that Bok in the day?

• Like 1

Â