Formations

psychobirch

Hi,

Just thought I'd start a topic on the subject of squad formations. So, without further ado, let's play manager!

First, what are your guys thoughts on the current formations that Lambert favours? (Predominantly 4-3-3 and 3-5-2)

Second, if the whole squad was fit for purpose, what would your formations be, and what sort of tactics would you imply? (This is where all of the disagreements start!)

And finally, let's use today as an example, what would you be saying to your team if you went in at half time 1-1 after conceding such a soft goal?

-----------------------------------

I'll go first...

I think with our particular squad, the 4-3-3 line-up doesn't work. I think the play is just too narrow. On the other hand, I think the 3-5-2 formation suits us when playing against bigger teams. You can always have that extra defensive support when needed, and it allows attacking fullbacks such as Luna to bomb forward and get some crosses in. I do not however believe that it is an excuse for the 'wingbacks' to hold back and just hoof the ball forward when possible.

Assuming the whole squad was ready and available, I would be tempted to play a 4-2-3-1 (4-5-1) formation as follows;

/  Guzan  /

/  Lowton  /  Baker  /  Vlaar  /  Luna  /

/  El Ahmadi  /  Westwood  /

/  Bacuna  /  Delph  /  Agbonlahor  /

/  Benteke  /

My theory, yes I say theory, would be to have a main back four with two holding midfielders than can close down any central play, and help out the fullbacks when necessary. With Bacuna and Agbonlahor wide, it provides a good amount of pace if that's the attacking route that forms. Benteke would be my number one up front, with Delph playing off him in an attacking central midfield role. I think his attacking play is outstanding, and hopefully his schoolboy errors won't come as costly if he's playing further up the field. If pressure needs soaking up, this formation can be quickly adapted into a 4-5-1 formation, in order to close all of the gaps.

If I were Paul Lambert, not just today, but at half time in the last 4 or 5 matches we have played, I would show my utmost disgust at the lack of effort that has gone into the first 45 minutes. Ok, today against Swansea we played well... for the first 8 minutes anyway. Unfortunately I don't think Lambert has got it in him to flip his lid and give the lads a real bollocking, which I for one certainly would.

I think for the time being we should stick to a very basic 4-4-2, with Albrighton and Bacuna on the wings and Gabby and Kozak/Benteke up front. Whip the crosses in, some goals should come.

But if we keep hoofing it up front we won't see many crosses, I fear.

I'm sick of seeing us play forwards as wingers. They're not good enough and they're utterly ineffective. If we're going to play 4-5-1 than it means no gabby and no weimann out wide. Right now, everyone magically fit, I'd like to see...

---------------guzan-------------------

Lowton-----vlaar---okore---luna\bennett

-----westwood--delph--gardner\kea------

Albrighton----------------------nzogbia

--------------benteke------------------

We won't see that, but if we had actual wingers to give the ball to once the lads in the middle got it, surely we'd be at least a but less predictable

• Like 1

Unfortunately I wish I could put N'zogbia's name down as a wide man but he just doesn't not cut it for me and never will which is why I put Gabby there. I think one element that we are missing in the team is someone who can hold the ball wide and will get the underside of his boots painted white. I think we're also desperate for an experienced, physical Central Midfielder who can hold the ball and play creative passes.

Â