We're Passing The Ball!

blandy

My private chant went something like "We're Aston Villa, we're passing the ball, and after we pass it we're doing **** all".

Lambert has all the time in the world to get the team and the tactics right as far as I'm concerned because after the disasters of the last two seasons both are in a rather chaotic state. But it is of no benefit to anyone to pretend that the display we saw on Saturday was heading in the right direction.

C'mon, let's at least try and retain some positivity towards the team and Lambert this season. We are obviously re-building after one of the worst seasons in our recent history and surpsiningly we are not going to win every game. It turns out other teams are fairly decent and want to win too.

Baby steps

Hear quite a few reviews of Swansea over the weekend saying that last season, under Rogers, they were a tippy tappy side that retained possession for the sake of it but often had little penetration. Their first game of the season suggests that Laudrup wants to retain the possession forward BUT get the ball forward quicker and, consequently, increase penetration.

I guess the starting point for us is achieving ball retention. From that base we can build on the offensive side of things and, hopefully, get the ball forward quicker. I do think we probably need a decent left back (Olsson would be great IMO) and a more penetrative wide option like Johnson, Sinclair or Phillips, to really develop this faster attacking edge on top of the possession side of things.

Â