Historical friendlies

obanken

Anyone know where to find information (if possible) about friendlies Villa played a long time ago?

Particularly I want to find information about a game played in Norway against Gjøvik Lyn/Raufoss which my dad attended, which I believe was in the 60s. This is the reason he became a Villa fan, and also how I became one, so I am looking into getting more information about it.

There is a book called Aston Villa Tours, Friendlies and Testomonials by Bryan Sheppard that might have the info you require my friend!

Thank you :) I will check and see what I can find in the book

Only information I can find is that we won 13-1 but I guess you & your dad knew that anyway? The game was played in either 1959 0r 1960.

We couldn't even keep a clean sheet in those days either :)

Highly appreciated. My dad is not the biggest fan anymore as years have passed, and he wasn't completely sure if it was 13-0 or 13-1, so it is great to have it confirmed. Where did you find that information?

The fixture & the score is listed on page 107 of  The Complete Encyclopaedia Of Aston Villa Football Club compiled by Tony Mathews. Villa obviously undertook a large tour of Scandinavia at that time because also listed are friendlies against Gothenberg Alliensen (Lost1-2)  Helsingborg (won 3-2) Bolnas (Won 6-0) Trondheim (won 6-0) & finally Ostersund (won 7-1)

If I find out any more information I will post it here.

Â