Driver: San Francisco

Ingram85

Couldnt find a topic for this, have been playing this for a few hours now and as a fan of the first driver game and parallel lines im happy to report its a great game. Took me by surprise a bit as id forgot it was out as the demo had put me off and took it off my radar so it was a bit of a risk in picking it up.

Im glad i did though as now Im following the story the 'shift' mechanic makes complete sense, far from the zany idea it was initially portrayed as. Ive yet to try the rapid shifting yet so cant comment. The handling is typical driver fare, tails out wide, tyres screeching etc... story is good, it has a life on mars vibe about it, the voice acting is good as well, shifting into different vehicles leads to some funny situations, the soundtrack is superb and the city itself is superbly realised, all the main focal points are there and look like they should, the only thing thats missing really are the cable cars.

The decision to not let you leave the car is a sensible one, it was pointless in 2, game breaking in 3 and decent at best in parallel lines so the decision to scrap it and focus on the cars was a good one imo.

The true star of this game though is the dev team and the tricks theyve pulled to keep a detailed world running along at a constant silky smooth 60fps, it truly makes it stand out. Yeah we have to forego a weather/time cycle and the already mentioned cable cars but its a small price to pay for a smooth frame rate.

There are a few other niggly things; cant manually choose car colour from garage and the boost control being on the steering stick is a bit awkward but apart from that it seems that this a great return to form so far. If the story and side missions are varied enough to stop repetition setting in then ill be a happy chappy.

I played the demo mate, and it seemed very decent.... but the bloody demo expired the next day, so was gutted.

i think driver will be like alan wake... a top game that gets overshadowed by other more household name releases coming out around the same time.

Â