Booking Hostels

hatacake

Me & my mate are planning on traveling Europe for a month via the trains this summer. Having read the travel forum there appears to be some experienced travelers on the forum and we are very much novices on the subject so are looking for some advice!

Can you just turn up on the day and get in to a hostel fairly easily or is best to book a couple of days or even weeks in advance? Obviously we want as much flexibility whilst traveling as possible so would prefer to leave it as late as possible.

Seat61.com recommend hostelbookers.com can anyone vouch for this website or confirm its safe to use?

Many thanks and any advice given will be greatly appreciated!

I've used hostelbookers.com a few times

only place that tried to stiff me was in Sweden where they said the rate I had paid had changed and I had to pay more , just told them it wasn't my problem as I pre paid and thus had a binding offer and they gave up in the end , check the reviews online for a rough idea

usually I pre book the first night and play the rest by ear ...gives you freedom to move around if a place is pants or good

can normally find somewhere on the day just look for "Zimmer Frei" in most of Europe ..

if there are 3 of you sharing a room you can often get a fairly decent 3* hotel for the same price to be honest ..

Â