Take me to the River - Fulham Away report

blandy

They come round faster than birthdays, important games these days. Today it was time to go down to Fulham, for one of the best away trips of each season.

An early start, with a 7:56 train from my northern lair, on a cold but clear morning. The train ride was mainly spent feeling a bit tired, reading the paper - there's not much good news about, just mendacious politicians, disasters and the fear of terror, so I looked forward to the pub and some cheery company. Happily all went well - the train was on time, the undertube engineering works on some other line and after a quick stroll along the river looking at the oarsmen and women straining their muscles whilst being shouted at by midgets with megaphones a sit down in the warm was in order. We supped some pretty decent ale, munched down some dinner and then trekked back over the bridge across the park and into the away end.

Villa's side was the same as in midweek and we were kicking into the goal at the far end of the ground. Fulham started the brighter, but after the first 10 minutes the game settled down into a pattern of neither side being particularly dangerous, once Zamora had shot over. Villa, as the away side would have been the more content, and we began to control much of the possession. The thought came to me that maybe Arsene Wenger's daft comments had done us some extra good, as the ball was pretty much always played on the floor, and the team was patient in it's play. More so then on some occasions recently. Fulham too play a similar passing game, and it seemed to be Petrov and Murphy who were doing the "leading".

Writing this some hours later, I can't remember that many chances - Brad fumbled a deflected shot, but got to the loose ball first, Ashley Young shot just wide. I hoped for a Villa goal to reward our greater part of the play, and not long before half time it came. A cross from the right after a throw, and Gabby headed in. At first I thought it had been saved, but people leaping about beside me indicated we had scored. I have no idea who crossed the ball - maybe Ash or Petrov, but Gabby was pleased, and it was good to see him score after a few games without a goal. Not much later he got a peach of a goal for his second. The ball was passed to his feet on the corner of the box, he turned the defender really easily and curled a shot in, left footed, from the right hand corner of the box. 2-0 and half time.

The second half saw Fulham have more of the game, but truth be told, apart from a goal that was disallowed with about 15 minutes left, we were holding out well. Richard Dunne was superb, Luke young too, played well, defensively and Friedel didn't really have much to do. Villa had some half chances, too, but the game remained sporadic in it's moments of real quality play - often stuff broke down because of a poor final ball, or good defending.

It was heartening to see Ash back to his livewire best again, Gabby was bright, Heskey got the hump with something and was like pooh bear with head stuck in a jar of honey, getting himself booked with it.

Most of the players on both sides looked like they'd had a hard run of games, but it was Villa who had the better shape and confidence and desire to get something from the game.

After the match it was back to Euston, and a few more beers round the corner, before a late train back and a chat with the Blackburn Rovers officials and BBC Radio Ay Up commentator from their game at West Ham. Nice people.

All in all a good day out, an excellent result and continued hope for the games coming up. The ticket price at 40 quid was steep (read downright over-priced), but I doubt that anyone is going to care about that.

Some Marks

Brad - 7 - solid and reassuring

Carlos - 6 pretty decent again.

Luke - 7 - did well filling in for Stephen Warnock

Richard Dunne - 8 - towering

JC - 5 - The standard mark for a decent level of performance. Not a good as Dunney, but its' the partnership that works

Ash - 7 - very good

Stan - 7 - ditto, but looks to be carrying an injury

James Milner - 6 - worked hard, as ever, but possibly tired

Stewart Downing - 5 - Not at his best - another one looking like rest is needed

Gabby - 8 Motm (just)

Emille - 5 - good in parts, as they say. He's got some aggression back, which is nice to see.

Â