The Aston Villa Chronicles.

OutByEaster?

As Christmas approaches, the goose is getting fat, and the Villa supporter begins to dream of former glories. The 50th anniversary of Villa's 21 goals in three games is now with us, and some of us remember that time. But how about the more remote times?

The book contains a foreword written by famed social historian and Villa supporter Professor Carl Chinn MBE, who writes in the tail-end of his foreword:

The task that John Lerwill set himself is one from which most historians would have blanched. He has gone through thousands of newspaper reports, programmes and other forms of evidence to let the people from the time tell the story of Aston Villa. So many books on football are compendia of facts and figures. This Chronicle is so much more than that. The facts and figures are here but most importantly so too are the lives of the footballers, the directors and the others intimately bonded with the Villa. They reach out to us through long-forgotten speeches, notes and entries. Without John they would have remained hidden from view. That is the true measure of John’s labour of love – he has brought to life the early folk of Aston Villa and rescued them from obscurity. He has set the bench mark for other club historians. I hope that others take up the challenge.

Carl Chinn’s comments are echoed by Ontario-based Norman Crandles, a life-long Villa fan of 60 years standing, and a former university football coach:

The history of Aston Villa pre-dates that of organised professional soccer. John Lerwill has merged the crafts of author, historian and chronicler to produce the superbly integrated and beautifully written volumes I & II of 'The Aston Villa Chronicles' He has disentangled the dense strings of his topic with elegance and clarity to deliver comprehensive, luminous, and absorbing accounts of all aspects of one of the most storied soccer clubs in the world, from its inception in 1874 through 1924 and beyond.

Villa supporter Ian Robothan adds:

The amount of research that John has done is shown in every turn of the page and the details go right from the formation of the club, to the progress of football in Birmingham with long lost names to the glory years of Villa when we were the best in the world.

Up the Villa!

John Lerwill

I picked up a copy of the two volumes of John Lerwill's record of Villa's early history a few months ago from the Villa store and on the day was lucky enough to bump into Mr Lerwill who was passing through New Street to check it had arrived.

It's a labour of love from a man with a great passion for history and a devotion to the Villa that is a match for any of us.

It's a comfortable, enjoyable read and it's more than just a selection of results, line ups and league tables, there are some fascinating anecdotes and some eye opening tales of days of yore. (How the Albion's players kicked a dog to death on the pitch at Perry Barr sticks in my mind!)

It's interesting to note those things that never seem to change and those things that we take for granted across the globe that wouldn't be here if it wasn't for this club.

If you're after more recent action or a cheap read for your trip away you're better off elsewhere. It's not cheap and it doesn't feel it. It looks beautiful and it's something I keep coming back to. If you like your history and you've an interest in the formative years of the club, this is the only book you'll ever need.

... It looks beautiful and it's something I keep coming back to. If you like your history and you've an interest in the formative years of the club, this is the only book you'll ever need.

What lovely comments. Thank you!

BTW, I failed to give further details (of how to order by phone etc). These can be obtained on my website - please see link below.

May I also mention that I am working on Volume 3 (1924-1974), to be released in 2011.

Villa supporter Ian Robothan adds:

Teh amoutn f research htat Jhon has done is shownin evry turn of teh page and the details go rigt from the frmation of the club, to teh prgores of footbll in birmingham with long lost names to teh glory years ofVilla hen we wee the best in teg wrold.

Up the Villa!

John Lerwill

FYP.

Â