Player Profile - Brad Guzan

LancsVillan

by: TrentVilla

In what was an epic pursuit even by MON standards we finally landed Brad Guzan this summer after an almost year long pursuit of the current American number on goal minder.

So Villa Talk welcomes Guzan on board and outlines a little bit more background on everyones second favourite Brad.

Brad Guzan

Height - 6" 3

DOB - 9.9.84

Born - Homer Glen, IL

It seems like we have been chasing Brad Guzan for a very long time and the reason is we have, rumours of our interest started way back last summer not long after the arrival of Scot Carson on loan.

So what do we know of the man who has arrived at B6 to complete the net minding rosta at Villa Park?

Well Guzan was signed by Chivas USA in 2005 as a 20 year old as the first pick of the years draft becoming the first ever keeper to be the number 1 draft pick in MLS history. This followed an outstanding university career which saw him rated as the outstanding talent of his year in what is known as sophomore football and a year in the reserves at Chicargo Fire.

Once signed to Chivas Guzan went from strength to strength as the regular number 1 for his three seasons with the club and made his USA debut in Febuary 2006. His career with Chivas culminating in him being named MLS goal keeper of the year last season.

Interest from Spain, England and Scotland soon followed with a trial at Celtic and several Spanish sides showing an interest but in January MON made his move only for a work permit to be denied on appeal.

Despite this rumours of our interest persisted and on the 12th July we finally landed our man when he was granted a 4 year work permit by the Home Office.

Speaking after completing his deal Guzan had this to say;

Just from seeing the facilities and the vision that the club has with Randy Lerner, I figure the future is so bright.

"I think it's going to continue to get better. He (Lerner) has set the bar and he knows what it takes and I'm excited to be a part of the club.

"The training ground is state-of-the-art. It's one of the nicest facilities I've ever seen and working in this environment day in and day out is one of the reasons the club is moving in the right direction.

"I'm joining a talented group of young guys. It's going to be training filled with competition day in and day out.

"I think that training and competition - fighting for those 11 spots on the field - makes the team and the organisation better. So I'm excited to get started and be a part of that."

Guzan added: "I am going to go in there and work as hard as I can, learn as much as I can and try and become a better player and help the team in any way I can.

"Whether that is as a No 2 or competing for No 1, I am going to be pushing to make myself better or pushing the person who is playing to play better.

"Clubs with a good atmosphere have positive effects as they have competitive players who are pushing each other to make the team better."

Guzan is currently in China with the USA Olympic squad and will link up with the Villa squad in three weeks time as Brad Friedel's understudy.

Â