BGA - Board Game Arena

hogso

Anybody else use this? 

Board Game Arena

It's browser based, but there are apps available on android and iOS to download too.

BGA allows you to play many, many board games online, either in real time, or turn based over a set period.

You won't find any super popular board games on there - things like Monopoly, Risk and such which may already have their own apps available - but there is a lot of variety in what is available.

Further to that, it tracks ELO rating for all of the games, which chess players will be familiar with (BGA does have chess, but it's one of the few games it does not have rankings for). You can play casual games until you hit an ELO of 100, then once you have you can play 'arena' (competitive) games to attempt to improve your rank in the current season (usually real time games), and you can sign up for tournaments (usually turn based). Casual, competitive and tournament games will affect your ELO - but only competitive games will affect your current season rank.

I dabbled with the app at the start of lockdown, but picked it up in a more frequent manner recently. I've been playing Sushi Go! which is a game I actually own and was familiar with, but it turns out I kinda suck at it when playing competitively. I concentrate too much on my own game I think, and not on the strats of other players. Hopefully something I can improve on.

I play a lot of Yahtzee though. Currently 18th in the current season, and 25th overall on ELO. Which is kind of nuts considered there are many thousands of players, but I do enjoy the mixture of luck and light strategy, plus it's so quick to play a game.

• Like 1

Â