vs Everton: Match Preview

JohnCresswell

Vs Everton: Match Preview

Whilst maybe not expecting to be able to continue this fantastic run where we have seen Villa pick up nine points out of nine scoring 15 goals in the process, we are expected to be given a much harder game on Sunday when Villa travel to Goodison Park.

Personally, I like Goodison Park. It’s a proper football stadium – it’s got a ‘old school’ feel to the place, and I’ll be sad to see it go – one of my favourite Villa memories is jumping up and down on those old wooden seats realizing that we were on our way to Wembley after winning the FA Cup quarter Final.

Our recent good form, and Everton’s poor form has now catapulted us into the running for fifth place again – but now that Cardiff have been offered an English place in the UEFA cup should they do the unthinkable and win in May, then we may even find ourselves without an Intertoto place – which would be very harsh considering the good season that we’ve had.

Everton seem to be on the ropes. With Tim Cahill out injured again (he always seems to be injured when we play them) their major attacking influence is a big loss. Arteta might come back into the side.

Villa, on the other hand have the full squad to choose from apart from the injured Curtis Davies. It’s really important that when O’Neill sends the players out on Sunday that they’ve got that derby game out of the system and Carew, Young, Reo-Coker, Barry and Petrov all pick up where they left their levels last week and pull another top performance out of the bag.

Historically, Villa just edge out Everton in games won – with Villa having won 77 and Everton 75 – and a massive 50 draws. Last year Villa put in a spirited performance with Chris Sutton (remember him?) scoring the goal for a 1-0 win (first win at Goodison for five years) – then early on this season we won 2-0 at Villa pushing aside the Toffees with relative ease.

And of course, we will ever forget this goal by Merson, scored at Goodison?

Interesting fact: Gabby Agbonlahor made his debut against Everton at Goodison Park in March 2006 – and he scored too. It was our only goal, and we let in four.

Prediction: Now admittedly, I thought that we’d struggle against Derby. And small heath too – but Everton are a different class compared to their teams, and it’s going to be a very, very tough game. We only ever seem to either win or lose games these days, and we aren’t exactly the best when on Sky for some reason. On the other hand, our attacking play is virtually impossible to play against at the moment. It’ll be a tight one…..

Â