Remi Garde

Nigel

Remi Garde to be announced as new Aston Villa manager

49-year-old Frenchman to sign three-and-a-half-year deal at Villa Park, as the club prepare to conclude their search for Tim Sherwood's successor

share-fb.svg    
  share-tw.svg    
  share-p.svg    
  share-in.svg    
  share-share.svg    
  share-email.svg
Email

Garde to be announced as new Villa manager
On Garde: Remi Garde will sign a three-and-a-half-year deal at Villa Park Photo: Getty

9:06PM GMT 01 Nov 2015

CommentsComment

Remi Garde will be named as the new manager of Aston Villa on Monday and has been backed to succeed in the Premier League by his mentor Gerard Houllier.

Garde has agreed to take over the struggling Midlanders after further negotiations this weekend and is expected to fly in for Monday night’s game against Tottenham Hotspur.

The 49-year-old is understood to have signed a three-and-a-half year deal and is charged with the task of saving Villa from dropping into the Championship.

Garde, the former Arsenal midfielder, will watch the Spurs game from the stands and will officially take charge for Sunday’s home match against Manchester City.

Garde01_3489369b.jpgGarde is familiar to English football having previously played for Arsenal

It will be his first managerial post outside of France but the Villa hierarchy are convinced he can mount a revival, following the sacking of Tim Sherwood, and then build the club in line with their long-term vision. He first established his reputation working under Houllier at Lyon, later leading the French club to two successive third-placed finishes in Ligue 1 as manager.

And although Houllier, a former Villa manager, has admitted the club’s situation is a serious concern he is convinced Garde has the qualities to enhance his reputation.

He told Telegraph Sport: “Remi takes over a team in a state of urgency and his first job is to get the confidence back into the players.

“He’s got a task on his hands to save them from relegation but I fully expect him to be a success in the Premier League.

“There is already a lot of talk about how he has not managed in England before but the same applies to Jurgen Klopp, Rafa Benitez and even myself and they didn’t do too badly.

“He has spoken to me about Villa many times over the past week and I told him it was a great club with excellent facilities, a very good fanbase and they have a chairman that backs you.

Garde-03_3489376b.jpgThe Frenchman has enjoyed a positive period at Lyon

“I will be here to assist him if he needs any advice but he will have good people at Villa that can help him. He is not somebody who has no experience, he speaks the English language and will get his ideas and philosophy across.

“His philosophy will be attack-minded, he likes to build his teams from the back.”

Villa have experienced frustration in their attempts to raid Lyon for Garde’s former assistants Gerald Baticle and Bruno Genesio, with a renewed move expected in the New Year.

But Garde is poised to name Reginald Ray, who has been working at Bastia, as his assistant.

Kevin MacDonald will take caretaker charge for Monday’s game at White Hart Lane before returning to his post with the Academy.

Villa have only one win this season and have suffered six straight defeats.