Greetings VT

Hi, I'm Tom and i'm an Aston Villa fan. How I became a Villa fan is a vaguely boring story.

My dad dislikes football, he asks about it occasionally as a token gesture to get a conversation going but he really has no interest. In a way I understand it, what I don't understand is why I am so obsessed with a football team.

My mum likes football and loves watching England play. Maybe love is too strong a word but she always watches if she can, especially during the World Cup or Euros.

When I was 5 or 6 years old, my mum bought me a replica 'sew the badge on yourself' Liverpool Away kit as a birthday present. I knew nothing about Liverpool but liked the White and green colours. I wouldn't say I supported Liverpool, I didn't really know what they were. When visiting my Grandma and finding football on the tele, I asked my mum who she supported and she said she didn't support anybody but liked Manchester Utd when she was a child.

When I started playing football for a local under 10s team, Manchester Utd were regularly on Terrestrial TV, usually in the evenings after training. I remember they lost 4-0 to Barcelona wearing their black away kit. I remember Mark Hughes. I actually have a much earlier memory of Man Utd playing in their Yellow and Green away kit; I remember a close up of Paul Ince's face. I couldn't get away from them, they were everywhere I looked. so I developed a bit of an affinity to them.

My clearest and earliest memories of Premier League football were not of watching the Television, it was of listening. I used to go to bed with a radio under my pillow and fall asleep to the sound of 5 live. I now have great affection and nostalgia for the sound of Alan Green's voice. I have no idea what he looks like; I don't want to know. My clearest memory of 'football under the pillow' is when Cantona lashed out and kicked a Crystal Palace fan. I had no idea of the seriousness of the situation at the time but it woke me up.

Despite exposure to the likes of Ince, Hughes, Dublin and Cantona, my first footballing hero was Peter Schmeichel. I wanted to be a goalkeeper. I had the Goalkeeper kit and goalkeeper gloves. I used to make diving saves on my bed and imagine the adulation of the adoring fans. I never conceded a goal in my room. Unfortuntaely, it was a completely different story on the pitch; I was terrible in goal. Arguably, I was terrible outfield too but at least I was less of a liability. I played Centre Back or Right Back, although I didn't choose those positions, they were chosen for me. I was inconsistent, swaying from phenomenal Man of the Match performances to Djemba-Djemba style naffness. Nobody ever really taught me to play football or anything about it. I learnt for myself and with my friends. This is where Aston Villa comes in.

After a few years of playing football, never really understanding much beyond tackling, passing the ball and avoiding headers, I started to watch it with more interest at my best friend's house (They had Sky Sports 1,2 and 3 and all the Music video channels, I could lose myself for hours scanning through the multitude of shows). I'd watched football before but the key difference here was that they weren't watching Manchester United, they were watching Aston Villa. I knew of Aston Villa, a lot of people from my school supported them and I liked their Black and Green MULLER away kit. I had a merlin sticker book with the Aston Villa badge shiny and 4 Dwight Yorkes. As my geography skills reached their peak, I realised that Aston Villa were located quite nearby. I remember sitting in my best friend's living room and making a decision to support Aston Villa. I must have been aged about 15.

In football terms 15 is fairly old and I've suffered ridicule for it, countless taunts for not supporting a team since my great grandfather was concieved. In reality I never supported anyone else, it's just that I didn't know what else was out there. That’s why I'm proud to support Aston Villa, no-one told me too, my dad didn't force me to, it's not a family tradition; it's who I like, it's something I share with my friends.

During my time as an AVFC fan, my favourite players have included Dion Dublin, Juan Pablo Angel, Olof Melberg, Peter Schmeichel, Darius Vassell, Gareth Barry, Martin Laursen, Matty Berson (I don't know why), Ashley Young and James Milner. I was sad when Milner left and genuinely believe he should form the spine of the Endland team. My favourite Villa player today is Fabian Delph. From the moment we signed him I had a good feeling and I liked the Youtube clips of him scoring for Leeds. For some reason I am 99% certain he will fulfil his potential. Committing to the club for some of his peak years is amazing. Why didn't Milner do it? Fab seems like an exception to the norm in the football world. I like to think if I was a professional footballer, I would do the same.

Anyway, I've been reading posts on this forum for a few weeks now and like the grounded and well-articulated opinions, moments of comedy gold and the general feel of friendliness. I don't know if I will be a prolific poster but I would like the opportunity to now and again, for when I think I have something worth saying.

Thanks for reading.
Tom