Dubai - tips, must-sees and Arabic

Spoony

Hi guys and gals,

So I've just found out that I am going to be seconding to Dubai for 6 months! I've done a fair amount of research about the place and I have a few friends out there who have given me some tips. I'm very excited to be going, I'm clued up on how unbearably hot it's going to be and the customs/etiquette of the place but I was hoping for some extra pointers on three things in particular:

1. any tips on what I have to see and do whilst I am there and any advice on travelling elsewhere in the UAE or to surrounding countries;
  2. any advice from anyone who has spent a period of time there (things like banking, getting around, budget airlines, do's and don'ts, dating (that's a main concern!) etc.); and
  3. although I'm aware it's not strictly necessary, I want to learn as much Arabic as I can before I move and I'd appreciate any tips and pointers for good books/apps/websites (within a restrictive budget).

Thanks muchly in advance! I know Dubai isn't everybody's cup of tea so for my own sanity before I'm moved there I'd be grateful not to see posts saying it's awful and I'll hate it (I'd rather be ignorant if that's the case)!

Â