Front Page: Match Preview: Villa v Spurs

villafan306

By villafan306

Martin O'Neill's unbeaten Villa take on a Spurs team who have yet to claim a point on their travels.

Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur

Barclays Premiership

Villa Park

Saturday 14th October

Kick Off: 15:00

Well, they haven't even scored a goal away from home yet actually. But isn't it amazing. Last season it was Spurs riding high in fifth place, looking unbeatable and surprising everyone. Whereas we were at the bottom of the league, strugling to get points. Oh how the tables have turned.

You can throw all the stats you want at this game but they won't make a difference. Games between Villa and Spurs are often hard to predict - who would have bet on that 5-1 drubbing at the Lane a few seasons back? FOr instance, Spurs have yet to score away from home and have only won one of their last 7 away Premier League games, but that doesn't mean they won't do it at Villa Park.

Both teams have their injury worries though. Tottenham have concerns over Ledley King and Jermaine Defoe, the former would be a major blow to them but the latter would just ease the weight on the subs bench. King is without uestion their best defender and if he is out of the game things will be easier for the Villa forward line. Defoe is often overlooked by Jol though, his injury won't really change the dynamics of their line up. Pascal Chimbonda is another doubt for them. Chimbonda would be quite a loss for them, as according to one Spurs fan at least he has been on great form this season - see here for more on that. Also out of this game are Teemu Tainio, Steed Malbranque and Aaron Lennon.

As for Villa, we have our first injury problems of the season. Luke Moore is out until January with a shoulder problem. Thomas Sorensen picked up a shoulder injury on international duty and is doubtful for tomorrow's game. Peter Whittingham is also rated doubtful after picking up a knock in training. Olof Mellberg also picked up a knock on international duty but is more likely to feature than Tommy or Whitts. Steven Davis also picked up a knock but should be fit.

This could mean a change to 4-4-2 for us but MON won't be revealing his hand until kick off. Baros, Berger and Bouma are pushing to make their first starts of the season whilst Laursen is attempting to get back into the starting line up. Didier Agathe and Chris Sutton might make the bench but it is unlikely they will start the game.

To be honest I can't see us losing. Whilst these games are often unpredictable and Spurs have a quality side I think our organisation and tactics will win the day. As I said, I can't see us coming away from this empty handed and I am going to predict a win. 2-1

Â