WINDOW SUMMARY: UPDATE 15.50 31/01/08:IT'S OVER:KEEPER NO-GO

JohnCresswell

Seeing as some posters can't stop themselves posting off topic drivel making the Transfers thread unreadable, for the next two weeks I will update this thread with latestnews, should there actually be any. It will be closed, so comments will not be allowed due to the aforementioned thread.

22/01/2008

No new links out of the club.

In? Not much here either.

Alan Hutton is said to be set to join Spurs after a change of heart, which means the Chimbonda link will probably strengthen again.

Also, Ole are reporting that Villa have now approached River Plate over the signing of Columbian Falcao, with River telling the paper that he may well be leaving for AVFC. For those who remember, Ole is a newspaper in Argentina who got every step of theJPA transfer correct, even when the tabloids over here were saying it was dead, and is one of the newspapers who generally seem to get things true.

Read Ryu's translation here.

22/01/08

Dail Mail say that Luke Moore could be on his way to Renagers if Cousins signs for Fulham.

Aston Villa striker Luke Moore is on Rangers boss Walter Smith's radar and is rated in the £3m bracket by Martin O'Neill - so there could be some hectic activity over the next few days if relegation-threatened Fulham come back with a fresh offer for Daniel Cousin.

• More Premier League news club by club

The man who signed for Lens for around £1m has been angling for a move to the Premiership almost from the moment he arrived at Ibrox in August.

At times, Cousin's commitment has been questioned by the Rangers support, while there have been a series of statements attributed to the player expressing his wish to leave.

link

10.09 AM 22/01/08

Cahill Bid Rejected.

But any offers for Cahill, who was on the substitutes' bench against Liverpool on Monday night, have not met Villa's valuation of the player - believed to be around £4million.

O'Neill, who would prefer a permanent deal rather than for Cahill to again go out on loan, said: "I have given Alex (McLeish) permission to speak to Gary.

"A number of teams have not only enquired about Gary, but a number of clubs have put offers in - none of which have been acceptable to us or have been accepted by us.

"Birmingham City, I can confirm, have made an offer but I have not accepted any of the offers because they do not meet the valuation.

"I am not in a hurry to sell Gary but he doesn't want his career to remain stagnant and I can't guarantee him playing in our side immediately. But things can change."

O'Neill added: "Gary's situation is straightforward. Having spent the last three months out on loan at Sheffield United and having played well and regularly, he doesn't want to lose that now and I can understand his predicament and his difficulty.

"Maybe he would like to go out on loan somewhere to the end of the season. Now that is something I will give some consideration to but it is not my utmost thought at the moment.

"If he doesn't want to leave permanently and feels there is a chance here that's fine. I am not going to shove anyone out of the door.

"But getting some sort of loan fee for someone at the end of the day is of no phenomenal benefit. That is exactly what I said to Alex and everybody else who has enquired about him."

TeamTalk.com

Juventus admit Mellberg has all but agreed to join them in the Summer.

Juventus sporting director Alessio Secco has confirmed the club are closing in on a deal to sign Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg in the summer.

Sweden international Mellberg, who joined Villa in July 2001 from Racing Santander, is out of contract at the end of the season and has already held talks with the Serie A giants.

Secco said: "Mellberg is close to signing a preliminary agreement with Juventus.

"If everything goes well, the player will become a Juve player in July. There are still minor things left to discuss before he signs the preliminary agreement."

Juve are also chasing Liverpool midfielder Mohamed Sissoko.

Bianconeri coach Claudio Ranieri worked with the Mali international at Valencia and is keen to take him to Turin.

"He is a player that we are interested in," added Secco.

"And we haven't ruled out the possibility of him joining us in the winter transfer window. We will see."

Daily MAil Report

Luke Moore's Price is £3.5million - www.icbirmingham.co.uk

LUKE Moore will cost Rangers £3.5million. That is the price Villa manager Martin O'Neill has slapped on the want-away youngster, who has endured a terrible season after shining on the pre-season tour.

Now O'Neill is waiting to hear whether the Scottish giants, who almost signed Moore when Alex McLeish was manager some years ago, firm up an enquiry and get down to business.

Moore has netted one league goal this season and has started just one game since early November.

"Rangers haven't come in for Luke in terms of a bid, but Walter Smith asked me about him and that's as far as it's gone," said O'Neill, who will not stand in Moore's way.

"Is there a £3.5million price tag? Well, yes, obviously because Luke is a Premier League player and that's what he would cost in this day and age. I spoke to Walter maybe about a week ago and he hasn't been in touch with me since."

O'Neill was down to the bare bones at Anfield but still there was no place for Moore in the 16 as he was forced to name Thomas Sorensen and Gary Cahill - both likely to move on in the coming weeks or months - on his bench.

O'Neill has also blocked Isaiah Osbourne moving out on loan.

He said: "We had to bring Isaiah Osbourne in who is just about to sign for Leicester on a month's loan.

"Under normal circumstances it would have been great for him to get the games, but we couldn't afford to let him go.

"Gareth Barry couldn't make it so we recalled Isaiah on Friday and we'll see how we go. Luke was the extra travelling player last night and that's all we had."

23/01/08 09.01AM

Outs: Nothing new so far

Ins:

Ole has the following on the Falcao speculation:

Well...here's your daily update. Ole's morning edition informs that "Villa has not yet sent an official offer but River officials expect a fax to arrive this week."

Apparently, Fox Sports reported an interest in Falcao from Deportivo La Coruna during a Libertadores telecast this evening, but it's not been picked up by Ole (or the other Latin football media) yet, and I didn't see the match where it was mentioned so I can't speak any more about it.

And whilst Randy Lerner is waiting for O'Neill to spend some of his hard earned cash on players to make Villa better, he's got bored of waiting and decided to buy part of an art gallery instead. The press association , BBC teletext and others are reporting that Randy Lerner has made the single biggest donation ever made to the National Portrait Gallery since its existence, and as a result the downstairs galleries are now to be known as The Lerner Galleries.

We're a cultured lot, us Villans.

Falcao not coming to Villa, he isn't English enough, by the looks of it:

Villa boss Martin O’Neill today dismissed any interest in Colombian striker Radamel Falcao Garcis Zarate.

The 21-year-old forward from River Plate – the Argentinian club Villa signed Juan Pablo Angel from seven years ago – has been linked with a £5m switch to the West Midlands.

But O’Neill said: “It’s news to me. I think we’d be looking a little closer to home.”

Villa, who want £3.5m for wantaway striker Luke Moore, are scouring the market for a replacement if the 21-year-old leaves.

O’Neill has been linked wit Reading’s Kevin Doyle and it’s likely his target will fit the young, hungry profile of previous signings.

This article posted on January 24, 2008 at 2:20 pm, filed

Linky from Express and Star

And for a bit of satire:

But O’Neill said: “It’s news to me. I think we’d be looking a little closer to home.”

Yes, you would have thought we'd have been looking, wouldn't you?

Seven days to go.........anything at all?

Outs: Nowt

Ins:

Well another player not joining us is Pascal Chimbonda, who is on the back of The Sun saying that he doesn't care aout Spurs and is set to sign a big contract for Newcastle. Were we never interested, in which case has the manager been interested in signing a right back at all, or has the 'MON factor' dwindled?

The Mirror claims that Martin O'Neill fancies signing 6 foot 4 American goalkeeper Brad Guzan, beating Celtic and Arsenal to the signing. Apparently he'll be cheaper than Scott Carson as it'll only be £2million. Whether he's better than Carson, who knows. But he's definately cheaper.

They've finally picked up on the Falcao story too. Shame that it's only the day after the manager said he wouldn't be signing the player.

After a day of no action again, something to post at least. It's not even a big nws day. One of the headlines is that some fella has left UB40. For goodness sake, give us some Villa information.

Teletext is reporting that Bolton have had a £4million offer for Gary Cahill turned down.

And Martin O'Neill has confirmed that he has recieved an offer for Olof Mellberg. Speaking in the press conference for the game tomorrow, he has said:

After the weekend we will have a look at some things. I'll have a better picture on Monday

Which makes me think that he's probably leaving then. Oh well.

Rumours that the groundsmen are to rip up the right side of the Villa Park pitch have been rejected.

Chimbonda and Hutton are no-gos.

Martin O’Neill has poured cold water on reports he has made a move for Pascal Chimbonda and Alan Hutton.

O’Neill could well see Olof Mellberg depart for Juventus in January, while Gary Cahill is a target for Birmingham, and this has led to suggestions that he is eyeing defensive reinforcements.

Pascal Chimbonda is reportedly unsettled at Tottenham and he has been linked with Villa and Newcastle.

Rangers full back Hutton is one of the brightest defensive prospects in Britain and has been targeted by Tottenham.

However, O’Neill has insisted he has not entered the bidding for the defensive duo.

"If you are asking me if we have bid for the players that you are thinking about and have in your mind, then absolutely not,” said the Ulsterman.

Hutton has also been strongly linked with Tottenham but Gers chief Walter Smith insists no deal has been struck.

“There is no end of the season transfer or anything tied up with Tottenham at the moment," said Smith. "The situation is the same as it was a couple of weeks ago. It's Alan's decision and, from the footballing side of things, we are delighted.

"He has been doing exceptionally well for us and we wouldn't want to lose anyone we felt was doing exceptionally well.

"Everybody considers the fee a terrific fee for a full back and your hand is forced in the respect that anyone would accept an offer of that magnitude, but he is still playing for us and he will play tomorrow."

Setanta

The Daily Mirror are reporting that Cahill is off to Bolton for £5million. It will be a big shame to lose Cahill, and I can't help but think that should he be playing elsewhere, he'd be the type of player who MO'N would be after. Mellberg is also off to Juventus before the end of the week.

The Sun has the same story as the Mirror, except Cahill's fee is slightly less at £4.5million. It's an odd one, as if Mellberg is off, then it opens up the chance for Gary as rightback.

We actually do have a link into the club as well. The Sun claims that Wayne Routledge has agreed a £2.5million move. He failed to make the grade at Spurs, and didn't shine at Fulham but MO'N thinks he can get the best out of him.

tick tock tick tock...only three days left now.