WINDOW SUMMARY: UPDATE 15.50 31/01/08:IT'S OVER:KEEPER NO-GO

JohnCresswell

Apparently 5Live and talkSPORT are reporting Chimbonda's move to Newcastle has fallen through and could be on his way to Villa.

Despite MON saying he hadn't bid for the player.

Worth mentioning, anyway. Especially so some can get their reverse lights on and pretend they didn't call him greedy if he does join ;)

Reported in a few of the newspapers that Villa agreed a £7million fee for Woodgate but by the time they had he was already at Spurs training ground. I think Mr O'Neill was a bit too late on that one.

Also being reported that rumoured target Giles Barnes is set to sign for Newcastle for £2million.

Linked to Richard Stearman of Leicester for £2.5million and Scott Scannell of Crystal Palace for £3million in todays papers. One a right back, one a striker.

To be honest, I think it's just the newspapers trying to guess why MON was at the Leicester game so picked a name from both time and hoped for the best.

Cahill has signed for Bolton for an undisclosed fee. So about £4.5million, then.

It's a shame to lose such a talented player, but the one bit of relief is that he didn't join them lot up the road, despite the tapping up. I await Karren Brady's poisoned pen diary in The Sun on Saturday.

£3million in profit in the transfer window.

And so we are here. The last day. Thank God. Or "Oh Bugger" - depending on if you think we need more players or not.

The Mirror think Villa are going to be making another two swoops on Spurs, with Chimbonda and Kevin Prince-Boateng making their way in. Obviously they haven't been reading this thread, or they would know that both Chimbonda's agent and Martin O'Neill dismissed the idea of that move happening in recent days.

Boateng is an odd one - either Sky let the cat out of the bag early, or it's The Mirror not realising that Sky had made a big mistake. Personally, I just can't see it happening as it's probably the one position we don't need a player in his position.

The Sun thinks that Brad Guizan will complete his move. Which is more likely to be closer to the truth. The LA Daily News claims that this also could be true, with Brad under going a work permit meeting tomorrow. Hopefully by 'Tomorrow' they mean today.

Sorensen could also be off, as well maybe Berger - again linked to Portsmouth by The Mirror as they attempt to get a 100% incorrect record for this transfer window.

As soon as something happens, I'll update this thread today. That's if the website doesn't grind to a halt if we sign someone unexpected!

Supposed Villa target Jermaine Defoe is in talks with Portsmouth over a £9m move to the South Coast, which has somehow given birth to rumours that we are interested in signing Darren Bent on loan.

No I don't know the logic there either.