Modifying a laptop

Dodgyknees

I've got a 7 year old HP laptop, which is the size of a house but still runs quite well. My tech building knowledge is rubbish, to be frank, but I want to use the laptop as a media centre for my TV. Not a major set up, and no Limpid, I don't want Linux or have the need to know why it'd give me a blowjob.

:)

Firstly, can I remove the screen (easily) so I can just rely on the TV as a massive monitor? Or will I need to do some frustrating tech things to it, which will confuddle me? I already have it up on my TV, but it's so big I want to remove the screen and slip the base under the unit.

Cheers. Sorry for what seems a stupid Q.

I've done this a couple of times before + replaced a couple of screens. Long story short, it's not hard since someone has probably already done it with the same laptop and posted a step-by-step online.

Search Google for "HP XXXX screen replacement DIY" where XXXX is the model number.  I know you're not replacing the screen but you do need to disconnect it from the motherboard before you take it off it's hinges.  Same deal with the web cam if it has one built in.  You'll likely have to remove the keyboard to do this (which is really not as big a deal as it sounds).

It's usually a little bit fiddly - allow yourself 30 minutes.  You'll need a set of jeweller's screw drivers - and make sure you keep track of the screws that you take out.

Honestly, if you can follow a recipe you can do this without too much trouble.

Â