Transfer Activity This Week?

JohnCresswell

The transfer window isn't even open yet, but some fans are chomping at the bit, ready to have a look at the first signing of the summer. A sign of the times, I suppose - it's been a few seasons since Villa fans have been able to actively look forward to the club making some genuine good signings.

And if you believe the newspapers, it might not be long until Villa make their first purchase of the season.

With news filtering through that it seems Scott Parker has agreed to move to West Ham from Newcastle United, they now have the midfielder to replace wantaway Nigel Reo-Coker. The captain, who felt he was on the end of some unwarranted criticism from West Ham fans last season, struck up some inspiration form towards the end of the year to help keep the colour copiers up.

He's been strongly linked with a Villa for a few weeks now and after his agent has tried (unsuccessfully) to tempt Manchester United into a bid, it now seems that he is willing to settle at joining Villa instead. Reports during last week said that Reo-Coker could be joining when Martin O'Neill arrives back from holiday, and Reo-Coker's agent is quoted in the Sunday Mercury as saying "What has been in the 'papers is not far wrong". The same newspaper links Villa with a move for Luke Young (now that will make things confusing), and Jason Koumas admitting that Villa are thinking about making a bid for him.

Saying that, 'The Sunday Mercury' is a sister newspaper of 'The Evening Mail', a local 'paper that has once again carried quotes from General Krulak on the VillaTalk Messageboard without crediting their source. Any long term VT readers may remember the 'Gary Rowe saga'.

With Reo-Coker in, it'd allow Steven Davis's departure to be completed, possibly to Fulham. Davis's break-through season probably made him look better than he was, seeing as he was the shining light in a bunch of players who really weren't playing well at all. He was then pushed out into a foreign position, never recovered his form and often found himself not even on the bench last season.

One to annoy the Wolves fans, the 'News of the World' is claiming that rather than stay at the Custard Bowl as hinted last week, Michael Kightly could be set for a £3million move to Villa. Whilst Kightly was without any doubt the best player for Wolves following his signing in January, I'm sure they'd be able to console themselves with the fact that they only bought him in January for £25,000. That's some price increase.

For what it's worth, which I know is probably very little, my thoughts on this are that I'd be very surprised if we saw a signing in the next few weeks, let alone next week. O'Neill strikes me as a man who needs to feel totally sure in the players he's signing - no Djemba-Djemba type buys here - and it's too early for this yet. He also appears to leave things late - signings on the last day of the transfer window seem to be something he's always done at clubs, so if nobody comes in next week it's not quite time to start to panic.

O'Neill being sure of his targets probably won't equate to everything happening in July, at least in this instance. We have too many players to buy. Even if we acquired (for example) NRC, Taylor, Douglas, and Kightly in the next two weeks, that would still leave us looking for a striker, a right back, and at least one other squad player.

But I agree in general, no reason to expect MON to rush each deal. I think we'll only see NRC within the next 10 days.

Â