Play to Cure: Genes in Space

CardiffGreens

While distributed computing projects generally fuel research for awesome topics (see SETI, Folding@Home, or getting suckers to mine bitcoins for you), the end-user experience often leaves something to be desired (as many a night watching my PS3 overwork itself as a slowly spinning project of Earth revolves around on my TV will testify).

So I was intrigued when Cancer Research UK emailed me this afternoon with a link to their new game - "Play to Cure: Genes in Space"

Edit - Now had a chance to play it - I'll upload some screenshots later.

Gameplay is fairly basic - you're presented with a "map" (which is in fact a sample of genetic data) - you have to plot a course through the denser areas in an effort to gather space dust.

Said space dust can be traded in for credits at the end of each run (assuming you don't get smashed to smithereens by asteroids) or store it if the Random Number God hasn't offered you a high-enough offer for your cargo.

Credits can then be spent on upgrades to your ship (bigger weapons, engines, etc etc).

It's far from having any real depth.  But it's a novel concept and not the worst way to spend 5 minutes (or drain your battery).

It's available free on andriod (here) and IOS (here)

Edit 2:  Some screenshots, that are even bigger than my phone...

2014-02-06170421.png

2014-02-06171543.png

2014-02-06175441.png

Edited by CardiffGreens

Â