Firearm Enthusiast Thread

Dom_Wren

47 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Can't help but feel the poor bloke has picked the wrong forum to show off his expensive new killing machine. ;)

Access to military grade weaponry and yet unable to post a photo the right way up - what could possibly go wrong!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Why?

I want to get into longer range target shooting.

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I only ever feel truly alive when I'm greased up and running around in the dark with an assault rifle.

Big knives too, love big knives.

And protein mix.

i just like being greased up. not too keen on knives though, love protein shakes. beefcake.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Paraphrasing Jim Jeffries

"I need to protect me, I need to protect my family" - that's why they're called assault rifles...

had to google him. seems a funny guy.

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Can't help but feel the poor bloke has picked the wrong forum to show off his expensive new killing machine. ;)

i am poor after buying that bloody thing!

Dom, you live in South Carolina,  most of if not all of my favourite singers are hunting guys and gals, most are supporters of the NRA and post regularly about their hunting and shooting exploits, although bow hunting seems to be the most popular at the moment. Now guns aren't for me, but I don't really care if people are into that, or hunting. So my question is can you explain at all why here hunting is seen as the sport of clearings in the woods in the uk and in the US it's celebrated and seen as a normality of life. 

Great question mate. Here's my take. 

Here in the south, the country life is just that. A way of life. So hunting and fishing and guns and four wheelers. This is the norm. It's every day life. If your a southern person it's taught to you at an early age such as a dad may teach footy to a young lad in the UK. 

Hunting is a thing that's just what southern people do. As going to the pub is normal to other nations!

any other questions mate. Feel free to ask. 

• Like 2

Not a direct stab at Dom but you know you are living in a **** up country when a private citizen can purchase assault weapons because he wanted to get into "longer range target shooting"

That said it looks the mutts nuts and I'd love to fire it - the wider question as to weather I should be able to however stands. 

• Like 1

No worries mate  I think I have a unique perspective on this issue being from UK but also spent 17 years living in the south.

It's the whole second amendment mate. No politician will touch it  so right or wrong it's in Americas past present and future  

I must admit. i thought for about a year wether to get one. Can't wait to go fire it either!!

1 hour ago, Dom_Wren said:

It's the whole second amendment mate. No politician will touch it  so right or wrong it's in Americas past present and future  

That's how Australians felt until Port Arthur.

On 8/7/2014 at 20:38, Dom_Wren said:

That's old faithful mate. A smith and wesson .357. Spits fire and makes a noise loud enough to scare the shit out of people in a gun range with ear protection on.

It's the one that would I would bring if I only had one choice, it will never jam and could stop pretty much anything I would need to stop.

Good spot with the 8 shots. My first and favorite gun.

Oh, do please provide some examples. Farting in public? Those kids throwing that damn baseball into your yard? That mailman who looks at you with a raised eyebrow? LIBERALS?  

12 minutes ago, villakram said:

Oh, do please provide some examples. Farting in public? Those kids throwing that damn baseball into your yard? That mailman who looks at you with a raised eyebrow? LIBERALS?  

definitley liberals. 

11 minutes ago, villakram said:

Errr, yeah... so you buy an assault rifle :huh:

errr, yeah. 

SC Gun sales and CWP reports record high

QUOTE : A record 50,000 South Carolinians sought to either buy guns or carry concealed weapons during December. The statistics came from the FBI criminal background check system, The Post and Courier of Charleston (http://bit.ly/1PLQkjv ) reported. The spike came when President Barack Obama indicated he would seek to tighten gun control measures this year. It was the busiest month ever in South Carolina.

Edited by BOF

Saw this elsewhere.

Guns are a big business, and the industry is raking in record sales and profits as people rush out to arm themselves following a series of mass shootings and out of fear of increased gun control legislation.

Grauniad

Then there's Fox ramping up the fear, and folks like the dim witted hag from a couple of weeks back telling everyone to buy guns.

@Dom_Wren you may have answered this so sorry to go over an old question. Is buying a gun a major expense or is it relatively cheap? Is it kind of a birthday thing that if you were going to buy a new firearm, hunting rifle its seen as a major purchase? Is there also a snobbery involved? I read a few editions of field and stream and the ads in there were mind boggling, how do you know that you arent going to buy a piece of crap?

Appreciate there are a few questions there.

16 hours ago, Seat68 said:

@Dom_Wren you may have answered this so sorry to go over an old question. Is buying a gun a major expense or is it relatively cheap?

My purchases are as follows:

AR-15: $699

.45: $699

.357: $799

9mm: $599

.380 (used): $399

Is it kind of a birthday thing that if you were going to buy a new firearm,

No buying a gun is an everyday thing, and has no special occasion attached to it.

hunting rifle its seen as a major purchase?

Hunting rifles are normally more expensive and are not a home protection or conceal carry thing, so yes more so a hunting rifle would be seen as bigger thing and more used firearm than a handgun.

Is there also a snobbery involved?

No, every range and gun shop ive been at, shooters and staff have been friendly and willing to help, ive shot other peoples guns at the range on insistence!

I read a few editions of field and stream and the ads in there were mind boggling, how do you know that you arent going to buy a piece of crap?

I have a very good friend who is extremely knowledgeable and always consult him and/or bring him with me. reviews online are good too and forums but i went into the gun shop and the salesman explicitly told me the cheapest one was the right one for me.

Appreciate there are a few questions there.

• Like 1

If you want to improve long distance shooting with a rifle Dom, then I would suggest spending a whole day on a short range (25m) just zeroing your weapon. You will get a feel for the sights and just how sensitive they can be to even slight movements . Even your breathing will affect your shooting and will be even more noticeable at greater distances. When you can get a 5 round grouping into a hole the size of a quarter, then you are ready  to go long. Try and release the shot at the sweet spot between breaths and squeeze the trigger in a controlled , smooth manner . Dont snatch at it . 

Edited by Brumerican
Spelling
  • Like 1

Â