Firearm Enthusiast Thread

Dom_Wren

I hold a firearms license but do not own a weapon, simply as I would never have time at the moment to get any decent use out of it.

It may be something I will do more often in the future; living on the missus' farm during the breaks in University and going out hunting was a pleasure and really made it apparent to what it would be like living off the land, so to speak.

None of that handgun stuff for me though.

Jesus Dom ! ~I could get a tighter grouping at 300 yards with the SA80 than you did at 20 yards .

Poor show sir ! :P

You Bugger!

I never said i was any good  ;)

I fully expect you take me to the range next time in JAX!

I want to get into my long distance rifle shooting.

**** weird.

**** ?

I hold a firearms license but do not own a weapon, simply as I would never have time at the moment to get any decent use out of it.

It may be something I will do more often in the future; living on the missus' farm during the breaks in University and going out hunting was a pleasure and really made it apparent to what it would be like living off the land, so to speak.

You still in Sandygate?  You can come round and annihilate the rabbits that plague our garden if you like.

You still in Sandygate?  You can come round and annihilate the rabbits that plague our garden if you like.

Living near the 'bright lights' of Broadway until I can afford my own house now fella! Would be a pleasure to relieve you of your rabbit problem though.. (a lovely old lady has a similar issue, absolutely plagued by them - she also liked to enhance her photography skills while the missus' brother-in-law was picking them off!)

We've got hundreds of the little bastards, and the entrance to their warren is smack in the middle of the bit of garden where the kids ride their bikes.  We put some new turf down, and they're doing their best to wreck that as well.  I would happily get someone with a shotgun in to pick them off, but then my kids would probably never speak to me again.

• 9 months later...

200k to several million illegal guns just doesn't seem realistic.

there were 7,000 crimes involving firearms in 2011, and the highest figures in 40 years was 11,000 crimes.

even if a different gun was used for every one of those crimes, we are talking a few thousand guns at most.

There are about 300 million guns in the US (not counting police or military) and there were about 400k "incidents" involving firearms.

So in the US the average gun will be used in a crime every 750 years. Apply that ratio to 7,000 crimes and you get about 5 million guns in the UK.

Of course, the vast majority of US guns are legally owned by generally law-abiding people. If we say that 50 million of those 300 million are illegal and thus more likely to be used in crime, then we get 1:125 ratio and somewhere around 800k illegal guns in the UK.

200k-2m is a pretty good order-of-magnitude estimate, and there's a bit more of a burden to justify the lower end of that range than the upper end.

Love shooting, but I don't do it very often.

Has been many years since I shot my own shotgun but I went shooting for a stag do a few months back, just clay.

My dad wants me to get a hunting license to cull Deer and a friend of mine has been borrowing my air rifle to get himself some pigeon breast, might do it myself but I haven't the time for neck snapping right now.

That's old faithful mate. A smith and wesson .357. Spits fire and makes a noise loud enough to scare the shit out of people in a gun range with ear protection on.

It's the one that would I would bring if I only had one choice, it will never jam and could stop pretty much anything I would need to stop.

Good spot with the 8 shots. My first and favorite gun.

• Like 1

I just can't get my head around having a cabinet full of guns and that being perfectly normal.

Different cultures i guess.

Quite happy for the police to carry them but normal citizens not so much.

• 1 year later...
Â