Firearm Enthusiast Thread

Dom_Wren

I took a firearms course several years ago, got my permit, but never ended up buying a gun. I think when things over here start hitting the fan, I'll pounce and buy a couple of weapons, but until then, I prefer not to have the mental burden of keeping a firearm in the house.

Interesting mate, what state do you live in?

What caliber/weapon would you look at?

Massachusetts, where the gun laws are very strict...you have to take a course and then interview with your local police before you are issued a permit. 

Here, you have to keep your gun locked in a safe, making it's home defense capabilities virtually nil if three bad guys just bum rushed the show.

Makes more sense to keep a Louisville Slugger against the wall and a knife under the mattress.

You can apply for a license to carry, but you have to convince the police that it's vital that you are able to, and they'd prefer not to issue those permits.

But if I did buy a gun, I'd probably buy a .38 or .44 revolver. Smith and Wesson, cuz it's a Massachusetts company.

For when the SHTF, I'd get a shotgun and an AR-15, woot

Mate that's nuts. I'd heard they were strict up there. I love s and w. I own 4. Never had an issue.

I took an 8 hour course. A written test and a shooting test. Guy was a state trooper, good course.

Nc now allows cc in bars!

Dom - don't be afraid to say "that is none of your business", but what sort of costs are your guns and all of the other bits that you need, e.g. ammo, licenses etc?

No worries mate, it's an expensive hobby:

.357-800$

.380-400$

9mm-600$

.45-750$

Gun safe-150$

Holsters-20-50$ per one

Yearly range fee-150$

Cwp course and license-150$

The only place I get a break is with ammo, the guy I mentioned in op, makes his own ammo, so when we go the range I just shoot his reloads. Otherwise for a box of 50 range bullets it can be 10-25$ and personal defense 20-30$ per 20.

When you start talking assault rifles it's thousands of dollars.

offset against Tax as a defence mechanism of course :D

Do you have to take out any special insurance because you are a firearm holder?

As said sorry for all the questions, genuinely interested because it is such an alien thing for a UK person

offset against Tax as a defence mechanism of course :D

Do you have to take out any special insurance because you are a firearm holder?

As said sorry for all the questions, genuinely interested because it is such an alien thing for a UK person

It really is surprising how 'everyday' firearm stuff is, you can buy guns and bullets at the local sports store, it's very much ingrained in culture here.

no special insurance, the course I took did talk about your liable for every bullet coming out of your gun and other laws you have to know before you can conceal carry a firearm.

All questions welcome mate, in fact I had all the same questions when I first started!

Last question (for now) ...

Have you ever been tempted to use the line "would you like to see my weapon" as a Lady puller? B)

Hahaha! No chance!

First time I carried. I felt very uncomfortable, I'm still getting used to it, I'm overly cautious and would never tell anybody I'm carrying, other than law enforcement. It's a strange feeling for sure carrying a gun, but I'm getting used to it and have the proper equipment (belt, holster) to make it comfortable.

I've never shot a gun (I don't think I've ever actually seen a real one) but my shot one when he went to Vegas, Jesus he didn't shut up about it for weeks.

I wouldn't fancy having one in my home because I would probably shoot myself in the shin whilst making a cup of tea...even if the gun was in the other room, I am very accident prone in the kitchen, I dropped a knife on my foot the other day whilst making some toast and it was actually sticking up I had to pull the **** thing out, I wouldn't fancy my chances of removing a bullet.

What about clay pigeon shooting, do people still do that?

i did it last year on a stag do and absolutely loved it

owning a gun doesn't particularly appeal to me, having one under the pillow even less, this protect your family / home stuff yanks like to rave about, if some bloke was in my house id let him take what he wants (including the missus as long as he didn't bring her back) that's what insurance is for, and this rise up against the government if they get a bit naughty is, lets face it, utter bollocks

that said being the member of a gun club and going shooting on a range on a regular basis does appeal to me

that said being the member of a gun club and going shooting on a range on a regular basis does appeal to me

999 - Hello is that the police I would like to report a possible crime that will happen at the following shop

the-range-store.jpg

:)

• Like 1

No idea what the laws are like in the US but if I owned a gun Id be more concerned about going to jail for using it if you shoot an intruder. If I had a family to protect its probably worth having one, if I lived on my own and someone broke in I just think its a much better idea to jump out the window!

Â