• Bacuna
    • El Ahmadi
    • Luna
    • Delph
    • Sylla
    • Weimann
    • Kozak
    • Bowery (for Weimann 80)

Still haven't quite gotten over this win. I still have a smile on my face every time I think back to Saturday!

It's not just the 3 points that were so important, but the statements it made. We won a game without Benteke and shut the doubters up, and it wasn't just any game either, it was facing Champions League and title contenders. Our entire squad costs a tiny fraction of what theirs does, so beating a side that is financially way ahead of us (and a side that rely on finance so much) through sheer hard work and determination is massive. City looked arrogant and complacent, as though this would be a walk in the park for them, yet Villa looked passionate about giving it 100%. You could see what it meant to our players when they scored. El Ahmadi runs to celebrate with the bench, Bacuna straight to Lambert, and Weimann with arms out wide infront of the Holte with a huge smile on his face. You can see how much it really means to them and just what a true team this is, not just a collection of expensive, overpaid players thrown onto the pitch. I love how, for once, the Midlands comes out on top over the 2 Manchester clubs that are always such media sweethearts and won't have a bad word said about them.

Moments like this, no matter how few and far between wins against teams like this may be (although, you never know...), really emphasise what a club this is. We may not have the quality in the squad that the top 6 clubs have, but we have a hell of a lot of team spirit.

• Like 3

but having seen that the trailing half of his body, including one of his testicles was onside, then I am sorry Chris Kamara and Ben Shepherd, you're f**king wrong. He is surely onside? Isn't this the text book case where attacking players are given the benefit of the doubt? Furthermore, I am obviously no expert in the offside rule, but if thw whole of the ball needs to cross the line for it to be a goal, a throw in, a corner or a goal kick, then surely the WHOLE of the player must be offside for it to be offside? That's what I like to think anyway. If they are giving the benefit of the doubt to the attacker, then surely that's how it is????

You are offside if a part of your body that you can score with is offside. In KEA's case his leg & foot. For example if your arm is offside then you are not offside (because you can't legally score with your arm). So no, it's not the same as the rule where the whole ball must be over the line.

Fair enough BOF - he was offside then. Like he would have been had he been running backwards and his arse was offside... ;-)

Sorry, that wasn't a dig at you, more of an observation. It's clear to me now you have explained it and further adds to the 'luck' factor we enjoyed on the day.

Cheers :-)

Well If KEA was offside then Ivanovic was offside when he scored against us (after he somehow avoided being sent off)! Swings and roundabout!

but having seen that the trailing half of his body, including one of his testicles was onside, then I am sorry Chris Kamara and Ben Shepherd, you're f**king wrong. He is surely onside? Isn't this the text book case where attacking players are given the benefit of the doubt? Furthermore, I am obviously no expert in the offside rule, but if thw whole of the ball needs to cross the line for it to be a goal, a throw in, a corner or a goal kick, then surely the WHOLE of the player must be offside for it to be offside? That's what I like to think anyway. If they are giving the benefit of the doubt to the attacker, then surely that's how it is????

You are offside if a part of your body that you can score with is offside. In KEA's case his leg & foot. For example if your arm is offside then you are not offside (because you can't legally score with your arm). So no, it's not the same as the rule where the whole ball must be over the line.

Fair enough BOF - he was offside then. Like he would have been had he been running backwards and his arse was offside... ;-)

Sorry, that wasn't a dig at you, more of an observation. It's clear to me now you have explained it and further adds to the 'luck' factor we enjoyed on the day.

Cheers :-)

In fairness to you, the rules have changed a couple of times in recent memory. Not so long ago, what you've said would have been correct, but not any longer.

For some reason I thought the game was on Sunday so I made up plans with the missus to go out and have dinner on a nice restaurant before we went to see a musical. When I realised that it was on Saturday I couldn't bare to change the plans and thought to myself that I wouldn't miss anything. We were likely to get thrashed. It was 2-1 citeh when I turned off the phone before we sat down to eat and I again thought that now the goals will be flowing in behind Guzan. Went to the bathroom an hour later or so and turned on the phone to see the result and really had to look twice to really understand what it said. Loved it. Still smiling.

And yes, it was offside, but on the other hand the ref made up two penalties last season to citeh's advantage so it's just about justice. Just odd that this time it was in our favour against them.

UTV!!

Edited by Pelle
  • Like 3

3-2 3-2 ner ner ner ner ! :)

OT: pelle, wheres a good spot in gothenburg to catch the games? any pubs/bars that show em?

When a game's on TV we normally try to watch it at a pub called Plain Kitchen. If you are in Gothenburg and wanna watch a game, just pm me. :)

One thing I wanted to ask but completely forgot after the game, but, was it just me, or were the Man City away fans absolutely rubbish? 

I barely heard them all game (even when they were winning). They all looked very static, which is strange when you consider the position they are in now compared to 5 years ago. 

• Like 1

OT: pelle, wheres a good spot in gothenburg to catch the games? any pubs/bars that show em?

When a game's on TV we normally try to watch it at a pub called Plain Kitchen. If you are in Gothenburg and wanna watch a game, just pm me. :)

Pelle will be the one in the mac and wide brimmed hat. Nothing on underneath, just socks and sandles.

moving to majorna on the 1st of november :) so walking distance from that place!

Pelle will be the one in the mac and wide brimmed hat. Nothing on underneath, just socks and sandles.

standard swedish clothing.

I have to say, Hart's positioning was awful, fantastic free kick but it was almost as if Hart was certain that Vlaar was just going to hoof it.

Yeah and you can see on the MOTD highlights he was moving his wall even further the other way to the corner Bacuna put it in

moving to majorna on the 1st of november :) so walking distance from that place!

standard swedish clothing.

:lol: It sure is standard over here. :-P

Nice one. :) Keep in touch and we'll meet up there. Have to ask, moving from England or are you from Sweden?

Have we ever played that badly and beaten one of the sky5 franchise teams before ?

Genuinely I don't think we have, call the cops robbery in aston

You say 'badly'. We didn't have much of the ball but is that playing badly? I don't think so. For all Citeh's possession, Guzan was far from our man of the match. Playing badly to me equates to actually making mistakes when you're on the ball, or allowing the opposition to bombard you positionally. We gave up possession for long periods and frankly Citeh were largely ineffective with it. Case in point was their 2 goals coming from corners. Our defence played very well in open play - far from badly. While it was a smash and grab result because of the possession stats, I just don't think 'badly' equates to simply not dominating a game. JMHO.
  • Like 4

One thing I wanted to ask but completely forgot after the game, but, was it just me, or were the Man City away fans absolutely rubbish?

I barely heard them all game (even when they were winning). They all looked very static, which is strange when you consider the position they are in now compared to 5 years ago.

Well thats the problem. They used to be one of the best sets of fans.

Â