Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

Shillzz

Can't see us getting anything out of this game, unless Gabby bursts into the box in the opening 5 minutes only to have Hart haul him down, giving away a penalty and getting a red card.....

I'd pick

................Guzan

Bacuna.Vlaar.Baker.Luna

............Delph.KEA

Weimann.Helenius.Gabby

................Kozak

Subs: Steer, Lowton, Clark, Sylla, Westwood, Tonev, Albrighton

Unfortunately can't see anything but a heavy defeat in this one. They're starting to get used to the pellegrini way, and our defence is always poor against sides who have good movement and can thread passes through. I think it'll be 0-3/4.

Be interesting to see how we line up, just a decent performance at home would be nice (obviously a positive result is better). One thing that may favour us is city will attack, so we could use our counter capabilities.

Tough one this. 

----------------------Guzan------------------------

Bacuna-------Vlaar-------Clark----------Luna

------------Delph----KEA-----Sylla--------------

Weimann----------------------------Agbonlahor

----------------------Kozak------------------------

I'd maybe consider Bacuna into midfield for Sylla and Lowton at right back.

It gets very interesting if Gabby doesn't make it back in time for the game - if he doesn't I'd go with something narrower and Helenius behind Weimann and Kozak.

Bennett and Baker are maybe a little unlucky to miss out - I don't think Tonev is anywhere near ready for the first team on what I've seen of him so far; talented but not yet integrated,

I'd go to a MON style 4-5-1 here I think. Actually exactly the same as the current standard 4-3-3 but pull the wide forwards back more to help the full backs.

There's giving in and parking the bus, and there's being pragmatic and tactical.

home.png
Guzan

home.png
Bacuna
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Clark
home.png
Bennett

home.png
KEA

home.png
Weimann
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Delph
home.png
Agbonlahor

home.png
Kozak

This all day long for me.

Interesting that you've picked Bennet ahead of Luna - I think I'd be tempted to do similar, though it is a risk.

I just think Bennett has been fine every time he's played this season. He was never _that_ bad last season either. He's also kept some very good wingers quiet before, where Luna has struggled in that respect. Luna's draw is that he was very good going forward pre-season. Now the stakes are up and he's having to put some defensive duties in, he's not quite up to scratch right now.

Our best hope here is that City come in overconfident and maybe rest a couple of key players for CL later in the week. If we press hard, catch them off guard and snatch an early goal, maybe we can pull off a shocker. But it seems like a fairly remote possibility at this stage.

Wouldn't mind seeing Bacuna (agree that Lowton hasn't done enough yet to warrant reclaiming his place), Vlaar, Clark and Baker in the back, we'll need a strong defense more than we'll need someone to romp forward and put in crosses. Baker's better defensively than either Luna or Bennett. KEA, Sylla and Delph in the middle. Gabby and Kojak as two of the front three, I'm just undecided on who takes the right wing -- Weimann? Albrighton? Tonev? There are good reasons for and against each of them, I think.

Just please, Paul, no 4-4-2 formation. We'll be crucified.

Edited by heid3ster

There's no way he will leave Weimann out. The fact he didn't bring him off the bench against Spurs proves that.

The only decision I can see is whether he starts with Albrighton or Tonev or has the three in midfield.

Edited by PaulC

Thread looks overly pessimistic. I would play the team Outbyeaster suggests, maybe put Bennet in for Luna.

City will attack, that should play to our strenghts. We're definitely not favourites, but I think we have an outside chance. It's not going to be pretty though.

I'd go to a MON style 4-5-1 here I think. Actually exactly the same as the current standard 4-3-3 but pull the wide forwards back more to help the full backs.

There's giving in and parking the bus, and there's being pragmatic and tactical.

home.png
Guzan

home.png
Bacuna
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Clark
home.png
Bennett

home.png
KEA

home.png
Weimann
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Delph
home.png
Agbonlahor

home.png
Kozak

This all day long for me.

Interesting that you've picked Bennet ahead of Luna - I think I'd be tempted to do similar, though it is a risk.

I just think Bennett has been fine every time he's played this season. He was never _that_ bad last season either. He's also kept some very good wingers quiet before, where Luna has struggled in that respect. Luna's draw is that he was very good going forward pre-season. Now the stakes are up and he's having to put some defensive duties in, he's not quite up to scratch right now.

I also think Bennet could be due a start, not only has he looked good this season, but he was also starting to show some form at the tail end of last season. I think his pace could come in useful against Navas.

That said, I don't think it'll happen, not this weekend anyway.

Normally look forward to a Saturday afternoon, either watching us on the road or slightly less nowadays at VP, but for this one I'm readying myself with a few glasses before, Spoons in town if anyone wants to join in  :unsure:

Sylla has to start this one for me, but sadly deep down know he won't, though going to be optimistic lol for once: 4-2-3-1, Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, Luna, KEA, Sylla, Delph, Gabby, Weimann, Kozak; City to win 4-2.

Normally look forward to a Saturday afternoon, either watching us on the road or slightly less nowadays at VP, but for this one I'm readying myself with a few glasses before, Spoons in town if anyone wants to join in  :unsure:

Sylla has to start this one for me, but sadly deep down know he won't, though going to be optimistic lol for once: 4-2-3-1, Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, Luna, KEA, Sylla, Delph, Gabby, Weimann, Kozak; City to win 4-2.

I sypmathise with your pessimism over the likelihood of Sylla starting, but surely Lambert won't go for Tonev in midfield again?

home.png
Guzan

home.png
Bacuna
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Clark
home.png
Bennett

home.png
KEA

home.png
Weimann
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Delph
home.png
Agbonlahor

home.png
Kozak

Can't see us getting anything out of this game, unless Gabby bursts into the box in the opening 5 minutes only to have Hart haul him down, giving away a penalty and getting a red card.....

If that happened, you know Hart wouldn't be red carded.

Tough this. City have been guilty this season of just playing pretty stuff and thinking they'd slowly unlock teams. Unfortunately, the Utd game has shown them the way they should be playing the in the league - high pressure and pace, bumrush teams. Do that slow game in Europe.

Can't see us doing anything due to the weakness of the midfield but we need to play up the pitch, retreating will only lead to them playing around our box.

I'd go.

home.png
Guzan

home.png
Lowton
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Baker
home.png
Luna

home.png
Westwood

home.png
Bacuna
home.png
Sylla
home.png
Delph
home.png
Weimann

home.png
Agbag

Think Gab up top to stretch them out otherwise, even if we somehow take the lead, we'll end up camped in our own 6 yard box anyway, Gabby keeps teams honest.