Relegation battle 13-14

Dodgyknees

I don't personally think a thread like this is at this stage warranted but I can fully understand that others will think the opposite.

This club has endured an abysmal last three years. Three  seasons of spending 90% of that time in the bottom third of the table battling relegation, numerous drubbings, humiliating cup defeats to lower league sides and certainly under Houllier and McLeish being served up gutless tripe game after game. It is therefore little wonder that the doom and gloom/panic button gets pressed rather more quickly than it used to.

I genuinely don't know how we are going to fair this season. I believe that our best 11 is good enough to see us finish midtable. However below our best 11 I don't see a lot of quality. I see a fair few players who are yet to prove themselves at this level and may or may not come good and even if they do come good it could be the back end of this season/next season before they do. Lambert has again in the main gambled on unproven at this level players to pack out the squad whether through choice or as I suspect necessity.

As things stand today only Guzan, Gabby, Benteke and Delph would be playing regularly for a top 8 - 10 side. If those four players get either injured or have a run of being out of form we are going to be in deep trouble. We need them fit and on top of their games and we need to see the likes of Westwood, Weimann, Lowton and Sylla get back to the promising form they showed at times last season. If they don't as things stand we currently have very little else in the way of quality to step up to the plate.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

The best thing to do is just to ignore this extremely premature thread.

I don't mean that as any disrespect to the original starter of this thread. But just let it slide off the first page of this section. If come new year time the club look like they will be in relegation trouble, then it could be resurrected.

But for now this is way too early and as others have said we have just had another away win

this didn't take long again did it?

is this earlier than last year's?

anyway, my 2p worth on the subject is that we are a work in progress and we will get better as the season goes on. if we improve as much as we did from xmas to the end of the season again (there's room for it and the potential is there) then we'll be top half.

I honestly don't see us getting worse over the course of this season and let's look at what we've done so far, we've taken 3 points from 3 games against top 4/6 opposition and 3 points from 2 games against the rest. So if we continue that form we'll get 38 points from the lesser teams and a whopping 12 points from the better teams for a total of 50 points. Which is not relegation material at all and would be about right as progress from last year. then we get rid of the last of the expensive liggers on, and onwards and upwards :)

I'm talking about the fact we're hugely reliant on Benteke. He's in my estimation half our team in levels of importance and contribution. While the player who could have saved out defence is out for the season.

I just don't want fans turning on the team when our form dips while Benteke is injured.

Benteke's been ever-present in the team for the last year so it's impossible to say how we will perform without him. Even then though, we were without him for most of the Norwich game and we won that one. He's obviously our best player but he's not the be all and end all of our team as not only did we not lose when he went off on Saturday, we went on to score and win. While I'd much rather he be fit and in the team I think there is a small positive to take from this in that we may be slightly less predictable for other teams with him out of the side.

"When" our form dips? You mean if, right?

Besides, he's only out for 4-6 weeks, with an international break sandwiched in between there.

The best thing to do is just to ignore this extremely premature thread.

I don't mean that as any disrespect to the original starter of this thread. But just let it slide off the first page of this section. If come new year time the club look like they will be in relegation trouble, then it could be resurrected.

But for now this is way too early and as others have said we have just had another away win

Yeah but every time we don't win a game someone will bump it with some ridiculous over-reaction.

It's annoying really that this thread was made so early because it's like some people don't even want to give our team a chance before jumping to conclusions about what our objective will be this season. We could just as easily be sitting around mid-table for the entire season.

Edited by Mantis

I don't know why the existence of this thread is being slammed by some. We're no better than we were at the start of last season in my opinion. Good result against Arsenal and got lucky against Norwich. Other than that we've been dire.

While I don't think we will be relegated this season, I can't say for certain that we won't be down there struggling. Our new players may get used to the league and come good, or might be proven to be out of their depth. There is certainly cause for concern, especially if our injury situation worsens. If last night proved anything, it is that we have a very thin squad.

With that in mind, why is it the cause of such angst that this thread has been created? Why does it upset some so much that others hold a different opinion to them on what this season could hold?

Personally, I am sticking by my prediction of 12th place as I think we are as capable of pulling off a shock win as we are surrendering to an abject defeat, but I'm not about to start shouting down anyone who is worried we are going to be in a similar position to each of the last three seasons.

Lose our next three games (entirely possible) and this thread is justified.

All ifs and buts. It hasn't happened yet and might not happen at all.

I don't know why the existence of this thread is being slammed by some. We're no better than we were at the start of last season in my opinion. Good result against Arsenal and got lucky against Norwich. Other than that we've been dire.

And yet we're currently mid-table and closer to 8th than we are to 17th despite some very tough opening fixtures.

This thread would be started regardless and will exist with a lot of posting until November.

Arsenal

Chelsea

Liverpool

Newcastle

Norwich

Manchester City

Hull

Tottenham

Everton

If you were optimistic, make it a win against Hull and a draw against Everton.

That puts the team at 10 points and a lot of people panicking and saying we haven't progressed and we're going to get relegated. Blah blah blah.

Then, you get

West Ham

Cardiff

West Brom

Sunderland

Southampton

Fulham

That's where we can start panicking if we're anywhere near relegation. But I think we'll be 11th.

I wonder if against Chelsea, the correct decisions had gone our way and we were sat at 7 points (a measly ONE point more) this thread would have been started.

Thing is, we're Aston Villa. We aren't Manchester United which means that we won't get favourable, or in fact, obvious decisions against the top lot. The fact that we didn't get a penalty, despite a defender pulling down the shorts of our striker in the penalty box shows you that. The foul couldn't have been more obvious, and yet the referee and linesman didn't want to call it. As all three of them missed the hand grabbing the shorts then they must have either not wanted to give the decision, or think that the chap in question must be wearing ill fitting shorts.

A relegation thread, like it or not, is still very relevant with Aston Villa FC. We've spent hardly anything this summer, failed to bring in players to strengthen the first team in any significant way and the major problems from last year have not been addressed.

Edited by Pilchard