• El Ahmadi
    • Albrighton
    • Sylla
    • Tonev
    • Kozak
    • Bowery (for El Ahmandi 46)
    • Helenius (for Kozak 46)
    • Robinson (for Tonev 82)

We played our B team too - except our A team only just about passes as a Premier League team so this was always going to be a big loss.

It's the young and hungry vs. just not good enough debate and when it gets to our back up players it's not much of a debate!

We are not good enough. A whole host of players out there will never be of a high enough quality to ever put fear in to the opposition. Albrighton was ok tonight but let's be honest, even he's crap.

Steer will never be a No. 1 at a Premier League Club.
Bennett is useless.
El Ahmadi is average lower league table quality.
Albrighton isn't consistent.
Bowery will never be a first choice Premier League striker.

Sylla, Tonev, Helenius, Kozak and Bacuna will all need at least some time to settle and the success rate of that happening is likely to be only 50/50.

Out there tonight there was only Lowton and Vlaar who would get in the first team on merit and neither of them are exactly having stellar seasons yet. Our strength in depth is appalling but with the way the finances have gone the last few years that doesn't really surprise me. We have put all our eggs in a stronger first team XI and when a big injury hits we can't cope: Okore pushed it, but without Benteke or Gabby we are shocking.

Penalty of not we looked dire. Fortunately this has almost no impact on Man City as it'll be mostly a different team. Unfortunately, we'll still get stuffed...

• Like 1

Sylla was our best player for 44 minutes of the second half, Albrighton also tried.

All about opinions but I though Helenius was awful, Bowery worse.

Bennett was better than Lowton.

Tonev was good for 3 minutes, showing he does have some ability.

Bacuna was useful, though not our best midfield option.

Overall an awful evening.

Not a good night. A few observations -

1) We actually seem reasonably well organised, despite the scoreline, which is a bit flattering to Spurs. The players heads went down, that can happen.

2) Albrighton looked decent, and so did Tonev as the game went on, I would consider starting both in a 4-4-2 man midfield, with Delph and Bacuna or Sylla. KEA looked tired today, think he needs a rest. We looked much better second half when we had a bit of width, the only problem was that we had too very very inexperienced strikers up front, if we had any combo of our first choice strikers I think we might have had a chance. We don't have a Ben Arfa type player that can unlock teams, so we have to play with width.

3) I think in the end Lambert was using this to blood the youngsters. Taking off our best striker at half time should show that.

4) What has happened to the passing game we were trying to introduce last season? Last season we were losing games that we were playing well in, but we were at least trying to pass the ball. Today there was alot of long ball.

5) Lets not over-react. Sadly Spurs are light years ahead of us (which is sad given where we were under MON), but c'est la vie. And lets not over-react if lose badly to City at the weekend. The time to over-react will be if we continue our poor form at against the teams we should hoping to beat or at least giving a good game to (i.e. anyone outside the top 6).

• Like 2

I just want to see some fight. We always allow teams like Tottenham to walk all over us.

I wish people would stop thinking just because it's Tottenham, that it's a reason to let a result like tonight slide.

Edited by Daniel

Tottenham have one of the best teams in the league this season and i think they have a great chance of winning the premier league. They got £85M for Bale and sold other players and they have spent arond £130m on buying world class players from europe and south america.

AVB has built an exceptional team and I expected this result tonight, we simply cannot compete with them so i dont mind too much.

You get what you pay for and they have paid for quality. Spurs will beat most teams they play. We are a bottom 6 team and these sort of games and results against top teams must be accepted. Its where we are as a club.

Who cares? Really our first team weren't playing so things would be different if we had our front 3 and Delph and Westwood. 

100% agree. Its no good overreacting over this performance. Spurs have a much better squad end of!

• Like 2

Given who was poorer last season than steer now?

Bent who isn't scoring goals for Fulham?

If you're gonna moan, at least moan about relevant things.

Onto to the match, I gave up in my seat when we didn't get the pen. Only one winner from there as the ref was practically their 12th man.

Bowery was woeful, tonev grew into it, liked super Marc and Bennett kept 32.2m lamela, silent. Presume he'll get the same treatment though.

Steer was an odd one. Thought he did well apart from the 3rd goal. Better keepers than him will do just as badly in a 1-on-1 for the 4th.

And where the hell has our Matty gone!?

As has already been mentioned, the problem with buying young players is they rarely make an instant impact, so we're left with a squad that quality wise is no better, we have just got more options.

Although Spurs controlled the game with ease, I felt 4 nil flattered them. Probably not the best game to throw lots of new players into but I think we were forced into it.

Good to see Sylla and Albrighton back in the team.

Oh and Tonev got a shot on target!

4-0 is a harsh scoreline.  Both teams put out second string line-ups. Only Vlaar and KEA could be considered starters from that line-up. With Spurs strenght in depth it's not surprising their second string hammered ours, but really this should never have been a hammering and the last two goals only came because we were chasing a game we should have been chasing!

Steer - 5 - Solid until the third goal which he should have stopped confortably.

Lowton - 3 - Poor again, Bacuna looks the better option.

Vlaar - 5 - got pulled out of position a number of times by great movement from Defoe and slick pass and move footie from spurs. Didn't make any major errors though!

Baker 6 - Best defender for us tonight, looking like a solid premier league CB.

Bennett - 6 - Second best defender for us tonight, all spur most dangerous move came from our right, our left was very stingy today.  Probably should start ahead of Luna.

El-Ahmadi - 4 - Poor today, rightly subbed at half time. 

Sylla - 5 - tried his best, tried to make things happen but was at fault for the fourth tottenham goal.

Bacuna -5 - Worked hard but his interplay is not upto scratch, to often passed to no one!

Albrighton - 6.5 - MOM, best Villa player by far, worked hard, always looked like he could make something happen, unfortunately couldn't find that telling ball, a few matches would help him.

Tonev - 6 - Had a hard time against Kyle Walker, looked lively though, but like the rest of our forwards often found himself isolated.

Kozak - 5 - Did nothing, but had nothing to feed off!

Bowery - 4 - Lacks quality, but works hard!

Helenius - 5.5 - Should've won a penalty, looks a trick player and needed some support.

I think Lowton needs to go back to the bench, and KEA is too negative. Would be happy to see Sylla and Bennett come into the team, Bacuna at right back and Delph back in the midfield.  Albrighton looks a viable alternative to Weimann and Tonev needs time.  Man City will be tough, but its the kind game we could thrive in. If KEA is in the team he should be played as a holding midfielder where he negativity is a requirement!

• Like 2

Yet another god-awful cup exit. No trophies this season but after 17 years I guess we're used to it.

A Spurs B team just beat us 4-0 at home. A Man City bumming to come, things are going to get worse before they get better.

A Spurs 'B' team that cost over £50m to assemble.

Justification!

Who cares? Really our first team weren't playing so things would be different if we had our front 3 and Delph and Westwood. 

100% agree. Its no good overreacting over this performance. Spurs have a much better squad end of!

save those quotes for saturdays game against man city.

4-0 is a harsh scoreline.  Both teams put out second string line-ups. Only Vlaar and KEA could be considered starters from that line-up. With Spurs strenght in depth it's not surprising their second string hammered ours, but really this should never have been a hammering and the last two goals only came because we were chasing a game we should have been chasing!

Steer - 5 - Solid until the third goal which he should have stopped confortably.

Lowton - 3 - Poor again, Bacuna looks the better option.

Vlaar - 5 - got pulled out of position a number of times by great movement from Defoe and slick pass and move footie from spurs. Didn't make any major errors though!

Baker 6 - Best defender for us tonight, looking like a solid premier league CB.

Bennett - 6 - Second best defender for us tonight, all spur most dangerous move came from our right, our left was very stingy today.  Probably should start ahead of Luna.

El-Ahmadi - 4 - Poor today, rightly subbed at half time. 

Sylla - 5 - tried his best, tried to make things happen but was at fault for the fourth tottenham goal.

Bacuna -5 - Worked hard but his interplay is not upto scratch, to often passed to no one!

Albrighton - 6.5 - MOM, best Villa player by far, worked hard, always looked like he could make something happen, unfortunately couldn't find that telling ball, a few matches would help him.

Tonev - 6 - Had a hard time against Kyle Walker, looked lively though, but like the rest of our forwards often found himself isolated.

Kozak - 5 - Did nothing, but had nothing to feed off!

Bowery - 4 - Lacks quality, but works hard!

Helenius - 5.5 - Should've won a penalty, looks a trick player and needed some support.

I think Lowton needs to go back to the bench, and KEA is too negative. Would be happy to see Sylla and Bennett come into the team, Bacuna at right back and Delph back in the midfield.  Albrighton looks a viable alternative to Weimann and Tonev needs time.  Man City will be tough, but its the kind game we could thrive in. If KEA is in the team he should be played as a holding midfielder where he negativity is a requirement!

If only two of that squad are good enough to start in our first 11, why the **** did Lambert buy 9 of them?

Yet another god-awful cup exit. No trophies this season but after 17 years I guess we're used to it.

A Spurs B team just beat us 4-0 at home. A Man City bumming to come, things are going to get worse before they get better.

A spurs team worth 100m beat a villa b team. But lets not let facts get in the way of a dig eh? Pathetic.

A spurs team worth 100m beat a villa b team. But lets not let facts get in the way of a dig eh? Pathetic.

And Cardiff beat a 500m (full strength) Man City team a month ago.

Why is everyone over reacting? Spurs had 4 to 5 first teamers playing(Paulinho, Vertonghen, Sandro/Dembele and Walker) we had 3(Vlaar, KEA and Lowton). It was hardly surprising we got out played. The fact of the matter is, for the majority of the game we were competitive. We were never going to beat Spurs. They have one of the strongest squads in Europe. It was a good effort from our lads, we certainly didn't deserve to lose by 4. If we had been giving that penalty I reckon we would've taken them to extra time. Everyone just calm down, we've beaten Arsenal and Norwich this year, was unlucky against Chelsea and Liverpool and played poorly against Newcastle. We'll be fine this season

Kozak scored the winner for us on Saturday.

Is that how you play this game?

Another point, all of their players looked massive. Our midfielders just kept bouncing off of them.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â