Safe Standing - Supporter Led Consultation - online & paper survey

canarykiller

I am too 100% behind safe standing.. I used to be a home & away every game fan until the all seaters came in.. I tried them for a bit but i felt like a square peg in a round hole i have to admit... I find it quite ridiculous to sit down at a football match especially as you have to constantly stand then sit then stand then sit over & over all through the game either when there is a corner, Penalty or simply we are on the attack so everyone stands up anyway & then you can't sit down until the guy in front of you has (this i have seen cause a few arguments too it has to be said). It's farcical in my opinion & at the end of the day it should be personal choice. There are no safety issues by the sound of it with the new safe standing system so what on earth are we waiting for... GET IT IN!!.. Then i will be happy to buy s season ticket again for the first time in decades.... Football is a game of passion which breeds passion in the fans who then return that passion with vociferous support but this is severely stifled if your sat on some cold uncomfortable plastic chair with little leg room... As has been witnessed across the country with the library phenomenon. ... At the end of the day if you like sitting all cosy watching something in a library atmosphere why not take up going to the Ballet or local opera house.. its warm there too.

• Like 1

I do support safe standing in principle, but as one of the posters put down earlier it is harder to do it in pre-built stands. If seats are removed, capacity cannot be increased anyway due to the size of the concourses. All full of iffs and maybes but it would have been much better had post taylor the clubs had designed areas of safe standing in all the new stands and stadia built in the 90s and 00s, instead of the rush to all-seaters. But that is often the case of feast and famine of years off no investment in football grounds in the 70s and 80s, to what we have today- safe smart grounds but often lack soul.

When I went to my first SCG, I talked about safe standing, and the question was reported afterwards as if I had asked for standing to return, and the response was that there were no plans to.

In fact, the question I asked was that when they re-build the north stand, would they consider 'future proofing' so that it could be converted into safe standing if it was ever able to return. As it turned out, Villa invited me back to talk about this in more depth, and this was a starting point for what is happening now.

As of today - I have surveyed 1000 people, in a wide range of demographics, and we are 97.5% in favour of standing.

• Like 4

Personally, like everyone else, at the away games I stand the whole 90+ mins, but at home its a different story. I've had a season ticket for the last 7 years, 2 in my current seat in K1, Upper Holte. During the match I only stand when a chance is approaching e.g. a corner or the set-up of the attack, but have never been told to sit-down by any of the stewards, I can respect others (especially others smaller than me) who can't see when I do this, so Villa starting this would have a thumbs-up from me. 

Just filling the online survey in now :)

Hands or should that be feet up anybody who didn't stand up & celebrate like crazy when Andi Weimann put Man City to the sword last home game. How many fans remain seated when their team score a goal? All seater stadium my arse!

The simple truth is that for many the seats are just a plain nuisance that have been foisted & imposed upon the masses by a dictatorial Government who over reacted after the crimes of Hillsborough. Crimes I might add that lay firmly at the door of South Yorkshire Plods finest.

The Taylor report is just a load of old bullshit.

Bring back the terracing exactly like it used to be & get supporters to sign a disclaimer before they go in so that if they do get injured it is solely down to them & their responsibility alone.

I firmly believe in the freedom of choice & if I wish to stand up at a football match why should some non entity in a grey suit or some old fart from the House Of Lords impose their will on me with some cockeyed report that would be better off served in the bogs of the Houses Of Parliament.

:bang: :bang:  :rant:

Edited by villa-revolution
  • Like 4

is the plan to remove 1 seat and create 1 standing place?

I thought id seen something suggesting safe standing would create enough space to be 2 deep, increasing capacity, but then an argument against it saying the infrastructure of the ground (number of exits etc) meant that couldn't happen

Villa-revolution

That is pretty much exactly correct.

It is safe to create approximately 70% more capacity in a standing area with rail seating than the number of seats, however, in exiting stands, this would make exiting the ground unsafe, and the concourses would be unsafe at half time.

Until we actually build a new stand, we can't safely increase capacity.

It has been pointed out to me that when we are all trying to book our tickets for the FA Cup Final next year, there could be someone being told their client reference has already been used - and they will be looking at me! Someone else has pointed out that it could give me access to your Villa cash - which I really wish I had thought of before I booked my Spurs tickets!

All I can say is that the data is password protected and I am the only person outside the club who has access to it. I honestly haven't even thought about your references till it was brought up with me, and if you could see all of your comments - you'd know why! Some of them are absolute poetry, nearly all of them are well thought out and argued - I would love to publish a book of the best of them!

It is up to you whether you want to trust me with it or leave it. I'd genuinely not thought of all this stuff - as I say, just an enthusiastic amateur - Definitely fallible. The main thing is, I have the beginnings of something we could genuinely do something with here - so please just fill in the bits you want to - and add your voice.

How's your new fur coat comin' on that you purchased with my Villa Cash Canary Killer? :);):P

Villa-Revelution - your Villa Cash doesn't begin to Pay for my shoes and bags habits!

Anyway all!

We have got the Safe Standing Roadshow coming to Villa Park on Sunday! It'll be set up by The Trinity Road ticket collection offices. We need some help setting it up at about midday. You wouldn't have to hang around after -unless you want to help with the surveys, you can just clear off to the pub! Any offers? Thank you.

We are on our last push this weekend - and then I'll be meeting Paul Faulkner somewhen around the Everton game to see what we can do with the results.

• Like 1

Personally I have no desire to stand. I did it in the 70s as a teenager and it has good and bad points. I started taking my son to VP 11 years ago and no way would my better half have agreed if we had stood. Now in my early 50s I am quite happy sitting and then standing at the appropriate moments.

I think standing sections are a good idea and as a few posters have noted the key word is 'safe'. The old terraces were not particularly safe IMO though the tragedy at Hillsborough had nothing to do with terraces and everything about negligent policing followed by a shameful cover up.

I doubt it will attract more fans to VP, we need to be more successful to get that but I'm all in favour of options for fans. Virtually none of us go in a box nor would we want to but it's just another option that some fans like. I like my football quite basic but I think I'd rather have the option to sit. Atmosphere at games is everything and that is more often than not created by what is happening on the pitch not by your physical position during the game. Getting stuffed 0-4 at home by Spurs on Boxing Day or sticking six past Sunderland, the atmosphere at those games had everything to do with the players on the pitch and the fans around you.

Just my opinion of course......

I asked Faulkner about it this evening in the webchat, looks like they are doing something with it this weekend at VP is anyone is interested! Maybe canarykiller can shed more light on what type of stuff they'll have at the roadshow Sunday.

Paul AVFC: 

Hi Danny - safe standing is topical again at the moment, and we actually have the FSF Safe Standing roadshow at Villa Park this Sunday...it will be by the Trinity Road entrance if anyone wants to take a look and see for themselves. One of our season ticket holders - Anne Marie Fern - has done an amazing job organising and collating a big survey of fans at Villa Park to gauge support or otherwise for safe standing, and we'll have the results of that soon. That is important as it will help us and the FSF continue to advance our calls for there to at least be a serious debate about the merits of safe standing. at present, the issue isn't being discussed at League or FA level, so a trial is still a long way off. If we can encourage the debate to take place by showing that there is significant support for it, then we can start to think about a trial, with the potential of a wider rollout to follow. It won't be quick, but I do think we are starting to make some progress.

Edited by LockStockVilla

Sorry I am late with an update!

It was good! At first it was really hard to get anyone to stop. It was always going to be tougher outside than it has been on the previous weeks where we have mostly surveyed people who were sitting around tables. The weather didn't help but it could have been a lot worse - certainly the worst rain of the day was just after we finished surveying and I made the dash along Witton Lane just in time for kick off.

In the last hour we got a lot of interest & it was pretty non stop - lots of people checking out the rig, and picking up surveys. At one point we had a queue for clipboards!

The biggest boost of the afternoon was the police coming to look at it, and then tweeting their support. This is a big positive for us

Paul Faulkner popped down to see us a couple of times & overall, John Darch from the FSF was really pleased.

I am due to meet up with Paul Faulkner next week to see where we go from here, but it is all really positive. We have something we can take forward. If it is true that Man United are ready to jump on board, things will really start to move.

Definitely!

I have to admit that my instinct was to feel a bit gutted when I read last week that Man United have agreed to look at it. So many responses on the survey have talked about how great it would be for this to be another thing that Villa lead the way on, it'd be just typical for Man U to jump aboard at the last minute to steal our thunder!

But - the truth is that if Man U support it, it WILL move, because they'll take Sky with them, and the pace of the whole movement will completely change. Man United's interest can only be good news!