Easy Jobs Hard Jobs Good Jobs Bad Jobs

chrisp65

Care worker at nursing home.. Awful job, minimum wage, have to work crap shifts, can get punched/kicked/scratched by patients and have to wipe people's asses

That's not true. Looking after pets is not part of the job.

Eh?

Yeah, this one lost me too.

Chris just explained though - asses = donkies

Get ya

Binmen have been quite well paid for years. My dad spent his career as a carpenter for the city council and even when he was starting out in the early 70s binmen were amongst the best paid manual council workers and also had the best contact package.

It always used to be the case that there was a lot of racial discrimination on the bins - it was a well-paid job, with thieving perks, and the white guys made sure they had a monopoly. You never saw a black or Asian binmen (not sure if you do now, come to think of it). 

So I was rather surprised when I went to the USA and found that (in Baltimore at any rate) ALL the binmen were black. 

In Baltimore, no shit sherlock. Most of the binmen in Nigeria are black as well. ;)

• Like 1

I'm being recruited for a firm in Northern Virginia which develops software to enable various and sundry organizations* to quickly analyze vast quantities of data...

*: they don't really list any customers, which is strange for analytics software firms, but whoever's paying them, they're paying a lot.

Edited by leviramsey
  • Like 1

Binmen have been quite well paid for years. My dad spent his career as a carpenter for the city council and even when he was starting out in the early 70s binmen were amongst the best paid manual council workers and also had the best contact package.

It always used to be the case that there was a lot of racial discrimination on the bins - it was a well-paid job, with thieving perks, and the white guys made sure they had a monopoly. You never saw a black or Asian binmen (not sure if you do now, come to think of it). 

So I was rather surprised when I went to the USA and found that (in Baltimore at any rate) ALL the binmen were black. 

In Baltimore, no shit sherlock. Most of the binmen in Nigeria are black as well. ;)

Good point! :)

Working in a sales call center is my idea of job he'll, and the idea of doing the bins ain't so bad to me. You get to drive a massive truck and finish work very early. You are always moving and probably get some good mates. Not that I would want to be mates with our binmen, they're words removed.

When I was between building jobs I took a temp job at a factory that made jubilee clips to hold electric fire alarms cables together, my job was to sit at a machine and cut strips of 3 metre long metal into 6 inch strips then pass them on. Completely depressing for the 3 or so weeks I was there.

When I was between building jobs I took a temp job at a factory that made jubilee clips to hold electric fire alarms cables together, my job was to sit at a machine and cut strips of 3 metre long metal into 6 inch strips then pass them on. Completely depressing for the 3 or so weeks I was there.

I work in a factory as an electroplater, but could never see myself sticking to a repetitive production line job, I have loads of variability and the need to make decisions and think creatively to solve problems. It's actually quite a skilled job, unlike the dippers that often populate the electroplating industry.  money isn't all that considering you're working with loads of nasty and potentially cancer causing chemicals,  but it's only a couple of grand off average wage as I work within the Aerospace industry, but for electroplating it's very well paid,

Are bin men worth 8-10k a year more than me for the jobs we do, never in a million years, I think to gain the level of knowledge, experience and skill required to do my job would take a fair few years more than taking away rubbish to a proficient level would require,.

I work in a factory as an electroplater, but could never see myself sticking to a repetitive production line job, I have loads of variability and the need to make decisions and think creatively to solve problems. It's actually quite a skilled job, unlike the dippers that often populate the electroplating industry. money isn't all that considering you're working with loads of nasty and potentially cancer causing chemicals, but it's only a couple of grand off average wage as I work within the Aerospace industry, but for electroplating it's very well paid,

Are bin men worth 8-10k a year more than me for the jobs we do, never in a million years, I think to gain the level of knowledge, experience and skill required to do my job would take a fair few years more than taking away rubbish to a proficient level would require,.

Its probably the only time I've ever got so down over going to work, after the first hour I was clock watching there, Everyone else there was 50+ so I had to listen to saga fm all day, I wasn't allowed to take my mp3 player to listen to, the times i was ready to just walk out but i needed the cash, easily the worst job I've ever had. Luckily having a trade now im pretty much free to work wherever i want, i could never do an office job, i like being able to look at something and think I've built that, that will still be there 100 years

I once had a temp job which was just scanning. I had been taken on to scan all the invoices the company had raised or received in the last 5 years. Even the guy who took me on said he felt sorry for me!

Â