Inspirational autobiographies

villaguy

I love reading a good story, especially one that can be related to, so autobiographies really immerse me. To be honest I haven't read to many but the best I have read so far without a doubt is 'Losing my virginity'. It has everything, criminality, luck, perseverance and character. Obviously most contain these to some degree or another, but the way this was written made you swallow the book up in one gulp. What autobiography should I read next?

Tony Benn's autobiography stretches over a few volumes and is quite good, quite detailed. I'm not sure I'd say it was inspirational but it's certainly an interesting insight into the man and his times. There are a couple of odd moments where I think he was clearly wired up to think differently to what I'd consider the norm (not saying that's good or bad). One instant, I think in the book up 2000, he gets a call that his mother has died in hospital. So he picks up his camera, goes to the hospital and positions her bed so he can get some last shots of her, on her deathbad with the London skyline as a backdrop.

I'm not sure I'd ever of thought of doing that with a dead parent, or actually being able to execute it as a photography exercise.

Also interesting was his relationship with the press. He was getting increasingly annoyed with Murdoch's papers making up crazy left wing quotes and attributing them to him. No number of complaints stopped the lies. So he adopted a simple tactic of always agreeing to talk, comment or quote on anything they wanted. But he would take a name, a photo of the journalist and record everything said on his own dictaphone so he had his own copy. Lies directly attributed to him by Murdoch journalists pretty much dried up after that.

The other side of the coin, we get an insight into what it was like to try and work with him in Bernard Donoughoue's book about the Wilson govt., equally detailed and level headed. But clearly Benn was considered a bit of nut job by just about everyone on his own side.

Always good to get two sides.

Biography of Karl Marx by Francis Wheen is very good.

But I take a lot of my personal philosophy and inspiration from Kerry Katona. Her book 'still standing' is currently available on Amazon for £4.45

• Like 1

Jimmy Carter's White House Diary is very interesting reading.

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin was good, if short.

Long Walk to Freedom is about as inspirational as it gets.

Think I prefer less Auto in my biographies though. Self-penned books often seem to be too self-regarding.In this vein, I've recently enjoyed:

Something Like Fire - Lin Cook (about Peter Cook)

Evil Spirits - Cliff Goodwin (Oliver Reed)

Mr Strangelove - Ed Sikov (Peter Sellers)

Read Sandy Galls autobiography years ago and could'nt put it down. Not exactly inspiring, but quite an insight into what drives a journo to do what he does. 

Once saw Sandy Gall on a train - best dressed man I've ever seen. Just a suit and a camelhair overcoat, but you don't realise how different expensive tailored clothes look until you see them.

Back on-topic... not strictly an autobiography, but Samuel Pepys's Diary is one of the most enjoyable things I've ever read. Makes you realise how the fundamental things in life really don't change.

Oliver Cromwell's Biography  is a good read  ... bit heavy going at times ( early life and events leading up to the civil war) but the civil war and afterwards are really interesting  .. he deserves a lot more credit than he's given , arguably one of the greatest Englishmen to have lived ....

mjmooney, on 16 Sept 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:mjmooney, on 16 Sept 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

, but Samuel Pepys's Diary is one of the most enjoyable things I've ever read. Makes you realise how the fundamental things in life really don't change.

is it like Alan Clarke's diary but instead of perving over women on tube trains in short skirts ..he pervs over women in pantaloons in a hansom cab ?

Edited by tonyh29

Last one read was 'Shostakovich - A Life Remembered'

Not exactly inspirational.

His early reluctance to tow Stalin's line found him castigated by the state, but his popularity abroad meant they'd wheel him out as a star of the Soviet arts.

You end up feeling sorry for just about everyone involved, including the Cruella DeVille arts minister that ends up breaking down in front of him - fearful of firing squads or a one way ticket to Siberia for her and her family.

Good read though.

, but Samuel Pepys's Diary is one of the most enjoyable things I've ever read. Makes you realise how the fundamental things in life really don't change.

is it like Alan Clarke's diary but instead of perving over women on tube trains in short skirts ..he pervs over women in pantaloons in a handsome cab ?

Pretty much, yeah (I'm going to let "handsome cab" go for now  :)  ).

It's stuffed full of anecdotes that make you say "Yeah, I've done that". Really entertaining stuff, even if you aren't interested in the history of the period. If you are, it's even better.

Edited by mjmooney

is it like Alan Clarke's diary but instead of perving over women on tube trains in short skirts ..he pervs over women in pantaloons in a handsome cab ?

Pretty much, yeah (I'm going to let "handsome cab" go for now  :)  ).

It's stuffed full of anecdotes that make you say "Yeah, I've done that". Really entertaining stuff, even if you aren't interested in the history of the period. If you are, it's even better.

I should be horse whipped for that one to be fair

Â