Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

roonst83

It's much too early to talk about "must win" games, but the result here could certainly have a big influence on the pessimism/optimism meter.

A defeat will very probably put us in the relegation zone (only a draw between West Brom and Sunderland and a defeat for Palace at home Swansea could just about keep us out of it). The inevitable thread will be opened and it will be as you were last season...

A win will take us back up to mid-table (possibly as high as 10th) and we will back on track.

One reason for optimism is that we haven't actually lost an away game to any team outside the top 4 for nearly 11 months (the last one being the 1-0 defeat at Fulham last October). Since then, we've had 5 wins, 5 draws and 0 defeats against non-top-4 teams.

One reason for pessimism is that I pointed out something similar before our last game under McLeish (also at Norwich). We had quite remarkably, despite being rubbish all season, managed to reach the last day without losing a single away game to any team outside the top 5. Of course, pointing this out jinxed the fact and we lost, although I don't think many people cared much at that point.

Anyway, just in case, I hereby predict a defeat.

They will know that if they stop Benteke they stop us, so it will be up to Gabby and whoever takes Wierman,s place to get us the win we so desperately need.

But to tell the truth, I think we will be lucky to get a draw at Carrow Road.

Saturday's game will have given them a kick up the arse. I'm sure they were aware that it wasn't good enough, and now that Lambo has pointed out how ridiculously slowly we start, hopefully they will pummel the living daylights out of Norwich from the first whistle to make up for it. None of this passing back to Guzan and hoofing it up to Benteke business, just keep running forward and don't give Norwich too much space. 

If we don't get something out of this, then I'm afraid that it will be a rather large blow to the optimism. 

Saturday's game will have given them a kick up the arse. I'm sure they were aware that it wasn't good enough, and now that Lambo has pointed out how ridiculously slowly we start, hopefully they will pummel the living daylights out of Norwich from the first whistle to make up for it. None of this passing back to Guzan and hoofing it up to Benteke business, just keep running forward and don't give Norwich too much space. 

If we don't get something out of this, then I'm afraid that it will be a rather large blow to the optimism. 

That was so noticable Saturday wasnt it - the constant hoofing from Guzan (not blaming him) to Tekkers. When last season we would always play it out. Need to free up Westy in this game and bringing in Sylla would help with this.

We need another win at Norwich after last Saturday and I think the least we will get from this is a point. Gabby's pace will be tough for them to cope with again so I think he will score as will Benteke again. So 2 for us and 1 or 2 for them.   

We simply have to win

Were so rubbish at home we need to win our winnable away games

Just hope the team that played the first half against Newcastle doesn't turn up

I can't remember the last time we were that poor

Liverpool at home springs to mind first half was abysmal

I agree we simply must win. 

Drop KEA not good enough. 

Wieman in poor form - who else we got you can play wide though ? 

Kozak and Helienius seem to central strikers - Bacuna maybe? 

Not impressed with him either you should have heard the laughter when he got MOM at the pool game

We simply have to win

Not impressed with him either you should have heard the laughter when he got MOM at the pool game

Hmm Tonev. Yep we all expect our new players to play like Messi on their debuts.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

We simply have to win

Hmm Tonev. Yep we all expect our new players to play like Messi on their debuts.

Forgot about Tonev that is an option we should consider. 

Please don't put words in my mouth who said anything about debuts and expecting to play like Messi - take you childish statements elsewhere please.

Forgot about Tonev that is an option we should consider. 

Please don't put words in my mouth who said anything about debuts and expecting to play like Messi - take you childish statements elsewhere please.

Touche. I never actually said you mentioned anything about Messi, however lets be real for any player to impress on their debut they have to do something super, I'm not on about just you. In general reading a lot of posts, many of our new signings have been written off, and to laugh at a Villa player who gave his all in a game, thats not childish?  But anyway enough on that one.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

Thank god for Arsenal else the pressure would really be on here!

The thing is the Arsenal game wasn't a fluke by any means - it was an excellent away performance. People seem to think we fluked it (i'm not suggesting you are by the way Nigel) which is frustrating. 

Especially when followed by the Chelsea performance. 2 brilliant performances on the bounce shows that we are capable of producing some fantastic high paced football and give any team something to think about. It's no coincidence that 2 of our worst performances (well, 1 and a half, excluding the second half of Liverpool) were our home games, and our best showings were away. We're more than capable of bossing this one, but it really depends on how we hold up defensively.

Especially when followed by the Chelsea performance. 2 brilliant performances on the bounce shows that we are capable of producing some fantastic high paced football and give any team something to think about. It's no coincidence that 2 of our worst performances (well, 1 and a half, excluding the second half of Liverpool) were our home games, and our best showings were away. We're more than capable of bossing this one, but it really depends on how we hold up defensively.

the performances were decent not excellent. Arsenal had 16 shots in goal and chelsea had 15 shots on goal. The scorelines could have different on another day.

They will know that if they stop Benteke they stop us, so it will be up to Gabby and whoever takes Wierman,s place to get us the win we so desperately need.

But to tell the truth, I think we will be lucky to get a draw at Carrow Road.

Gabby tormented Norwich all afternoon last time we played them at Carrow Road, his pace made Bassong (an experienced Cameroon international) look like an amateur. The way we played against Arsenal and a newly invigorated Chelsea wasn't anything to do with a fluke, we deserved to beat Arsenal and at least get a draw against Chelsea. 

Regarding Norwich, yes they do have some dangerous players e.g. Redmond, Snograss and Pilkinson, but I think we have enough to least get a draw if not all three. Would personally play, like we do at all away games 4-3-3, but with Sylla being brought in for KEA, Baker sadly for Okore and though Weimann hasn't been at the races so far this season I would stick with him and not change the front three until our next home game against City; Cardiff beat them at home so why can't we ;)

Edited by Avflife