Home Form

PieFacE

A massive wide pitch at home, and we play narrowly, with no wingers and try to play straight through the middle, with no wingers.

That doesn't help.

Agreed.

Formation needs to change to 4-4-1-1 with wide midfielders or even 4-5-1, again with wide midfielders. We need to not only take advantage of the space available, but we need to press the game onto the opposition. Attacking football would bring the best out of the crowd, too.

It would also help if we stopped conceding stupid goals like the two yesterday.

The biggest problem we have is that for nearly a year, we have had to score at least two goals to get a win.

That is a horrifying stat and by far the most concerning problem we have.

As for home form, when was the last time we didnt have a problem with this? Even under MON it was the same. Away from home we are fearless and dangerous. At home we have out balls chopped off. We dont like being favourites, cant control games and are unable to break teams down. In fact, this has been a problem for as long as I can remember. Remember those 90s UEFA Cup games where we couldnt beat team who were there just to defend like Helsingborgs and Trabzonspor? 20 years later and old habits are still dying hard.

• Like 1

The biggest problem we have is that for nearly a year, we have had to score at least two goals to get a win.

As for home form, when was the last time we didnt have a problem with this? Even under MON it was the same. Away from home we are fearless and dangerous. At home we have out balls chopped off. We dont like being favourites, cant control games and are unable to break teams down. In fact, this has been a problem for as long as I can remember. Remember those 90s UEFA Cup games where we couldnt beat team who were there just to defend like Helsingborgs and Trabzonspor? 20 years later and old habits are still dying hard.

Yes that's the big problem. We are always having to chase games at home.

For me it's that we frankly don't have good enough players to break teams down at home so i really don't see it changing. The best evidence is from performances we have repeatedly endured over the last goodness knows how many years. We were better when we had a defence that was better than championship standard. If you remember we used to draw a lot of games at home and that was with a good defence. Now we lose those games more often than not. 

The problem for me is we have a gaping hole at the back guaranteed to concede an average of 2 goals a game. Ok Okore could help with that but now he's injured. Our fullbacks yesterday were poor for me too and although this will hopefully improve as the season progresses there is no quick fix. Over the first four games we have conceded 1, 2, 1 & 2 which is actually an improvement on most of last season as it is 1.5 goals per game. That is against some decent teams too but we do have to take into account we played them early season so they may not be firing on all cylinders just yet... Yesterdays game was a worry and i now fear another wretched & worrying season. It's back to aiming at 40 points sadly at this time... What a shame.

I have to add what a load of dross our strikers were yesterday. Sunday park finishing.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

For me it's that we frankly don't have good enough players to break teams down at home so i really don't see it changing. The best evidence is from performances we have repeatedly endured over the last goodness knows how many years. We were better when we had a defence that was better than championship standard. If you remember we used to draw a lot of games at home and that was with a good defence. Now we lose those games more often than not. 

The problem for me is we have a gaping hole at the back guaranteed to concede an average of 2 goals a game. Ok Okore could help with that but now he's injured. Our fullbacks yesterday were poor for me too and although this will hopefully improve as the season progresses there is no quick fix. Over the first four games we have conceded 1, 2, 1 & 2 which is actually an improvement on most of last season as it is 1.5 goals per game. That is against some decent teams too but we do have to take into account we played them early season so they may not be firing on all cylinders just yet... Yesterdays game was a worry and i now fear another wretched & worrying season. It's back to aiming at 40 points sadly at this time... What a shame.

While I agree with most of the post it's way too early to say we're back to aiming for 40 points again.

While I agree with most of the post it's way too early to say we're back to aiming for 40 points again.

Well i'm not saying were relegation material just yet but rather that i was full of hope that we'd finish in the top half this season but now my main focus personally is on seeing us get to 40 pts asap, then see where we are & how much season is left. 

We miss a player like Ashley Young to unlock defences at home. Our problem so far this season is that we have conceded the first goal in every game. if we scored first it would be a different game.

How could we score first when we get about 25-30% possession in the first 30 mins of all games?

Players that open defences: creatives, cannot be bought for the money we are currently spending. If we need a proper AM or creative midfielder we will have to spend big, and after this summers market inflation (e.g. James McCarthy £15m!), this will cost at least £20m.

Every time I walk away from Villa Park, all I can think about is the video that Cleveland Browns fan made about their stadium being a 'factory of sadness'. It's been years since I went to a home game expecting to enjoy myself.

The main reason is we don't sign technical players in midfield.

as mentioned in other thread. this isnt new though the home form has been poor since about the start of 2009. We havent had a player to make a key pass from centre midfield since probably Berger. We have been good away as we have always had pace to hurt teams but at home its never worked

Players that open defences: creatives, cannot be bought for the money we are currently spending. If we need a proper AM or creative midfielder we will have to spend big, and after this summers market inflation (e.g. James McCarthy £15m!), this will cost at least £20m.

Or £12m for Erikson?

We won't spend £20m on a single player and a £20m player won't come to us anyway. I think we need to start shopping in the £10m bracket to bring in some players who will actually improve the side though.

Or £12m for Erikson?

We won't spend £20m on a single player and a £20m player won't come to us anyway. I think we need to start shopping in the £10m bracket to bring in some players who will actually improve the side though.

Didn't Cabaye & Ben Arfa cost sub 15 mill combined...oh to make it worse sissoko was 2.2 Edited by TRO

Counter attacking football sends out a clear message to the opposition

We ain't as good as you, but we will try and win some how.

We all know we all have to resort to it at times....even Man U when they play the likes of Barcelona or Madrid.

But if we are to change our fortunes at home we need to invest some serious spondulox in midfield or get lucky like Newcastle.

Edited by TRO

Play 4-2-3-1, Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Baker, Luna, Westwood, Sylla, Tonev, Delph, Gabby and Benteke. No point going on about the 'number 10 type player' we never signed, nothing can be done about it till January now anyways.

Edited by Avflife

If you had a boxer, who come out swinging his fists at everything and showed no composure....you would say you might get lucky one of these days and knock his block off, but my betting is son, you will lose more than you win.

Paul lambert says we have not got the nous to play the slow game.

hIgh tempo football is undoubtedly exciting but it can also be naive....hit and miss....we need mor composure and control.

If we are to progress we need the personnel to control the game show a bit of composure.....take the sting out of the opposition.

....and when they come out swinging their fists....nullify them.

Ps a bit like we did eloquently at the Emirates.

You can see the problems fairly clearly, no movement at all from our front line and the midfield isn't far enough forward. Delph/Westwood look up, they have a 4 or 5 man midfield infront of them, an entire defence and then somehow have to get the ball to Benteke/AW/Gabby who are 90% of the time just standing still.

Its just real easy for teams to defend against us. I dont know what we work on in training but it isn't finding space and making runs past each other. Go and watch old videos under MON, Milner/Young drifted all the time and found space in the middle, we dont have that at all now. 

• Like 1

Â