Transfer window

Jarpie

Lambert also wants to end transfer window, don't people who wants transfer window closed before start of the season get it that it would only get worse as a lot of teams would just hurry to buy as many players as possible because they can't use the couple first league games to see if they need reinforcements.

Almost all of them also says they want it to be closed earlier because media, agents and teams builds up the rumours, hype etc. and that's why it should be closed earlier...it would be exactly the same, if not worse if it'd close at the end of the july. In my opinion the current system is good enough as it gives teams chance to see where they're at.

I do get it that managers dislikes dealing with the transfer window once the season has started, but what's the alternative? Think about our last season: We were really lacking in the midfield and attack in our couple first games against Everton and West Ham so Lambert went out and bought Benteke and Westwood on deadline day which basicly saved our season.

Birmingham Mail article

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert reckons the summer transfer window should shut before the season kicks off to stop the “madness”.

Libor Kozak became Lambert’s seventh signing of the latest trading period when the Czech Republic striker completed his switch from Lazio on deadline day on Monday. Before that Villa recruited their other summer signings in June with a refreshingly early flurry of activity.

Aleksandar Tonev, Leandro Bacuna, Jores Okore, Antonio Luna, Nicklas Helenius and Jed Steer all arrived before the claret and blues returned to pre-season training. Lambert would prefer an early-August cut-off point for wheeling and dealing, feeling speculation can unsettle players if it drags on into the season.

The current system has been in place since the summer of 2002 and Lambert said: “I don’t like it. It should stop when the season starts.

“It stops this madness, people speculating. That’s just my opinion. It should stop before the season starts. Then everyone knows what’s going on.

“You look at the TV every day and there’s guys getting rumoured. They’re moving to one club and then all of sudden they’ve jumped into another one. I don’t like the transfer window.”

I actually disagree with the window entirely. Last minute panic buys and the inability to sign players at a later date all contribute towards pushing player prices up, which in turn eventually effects ticket pricing etc.

It should either end at the end of July or not at all, I personally prefer not at all.

I actually disagree with the window entirely. Last minute panic buys and the inability to sign players at a later date all contribute towards pushing player prices up, which in turn eventually effects ticket pricing etc.

It should either end at the end of July or not at all, I personally prefer not at all.

I'm not sure would it be possible to go back into old system as media and football has changed a lot in ten years, it probably would be exactly the same as nowdays except the rumours and hype etc. would be played all throughout the season without giving the peace to the players and teams to perform without getting in rumours.

If we go back to having no window then people will just call for a window to be reintroduced.  Say there was no window in 2008 when it really did look like we could qualify for the Champions League, a club like Manchester City would have just put in a huge offer for Ashley Young or somebody to unsettle him and weaken our team. 

I think it makes a lot of sense to close a window at the point where the league campaign kicks off.  Yes it would shift all the activity back a bit and you'd still get your deadline day and it would concentrate the same amount of need into a smaller time frame.  No-one is saying that wouldn't happen.  But the main benefit to clubs would be that at the point where the football begins, the clubs can concentrate 100% on the football rather than on protecting themselves from bids that could derail their season.  You get your window then you play your football.  There is no sense to having a crossover of the 2.

As for the notion of removing the window altogether and allowing clubs to buy throughout the year.  No, just bloody no.  We've been there and it is a horrible thing that massively benefits the 'haves'.  In a way I'm surprised they don't push for it more and more because usually the powerful get their way.  If a weaker club are asking for the abolition of the transfer window I'd tell them to be careful what they wish for.

I think it makes a lot of sense to close a window at the point where the league campaign kicks off.  Yes it would shift all the activity back a bit and you'd still get your deadline day and it would concentrate the same amount of need into a smaller time frame.  No-one is saying that wouldn't happen.  But the main benefit to clubs would be that at the point where the football begins, the clubs can concentrate 100% on the football rather than on protecting themselves from bids that could derail their season.  You get your window then you play your football.  There is no sense to having a crossover of the 2.

As for the notion of removing the window altogether and allowing clubs to buy throughout the year.  No, just bloody no.  We've been there and it is a horrible thing that massively benefits the 'haves'.  In a way I'm surprised they don't push for it more and more because usually the powerful get their way.  If a weaker club are asking for the abolition of the transfer window I'd tell them to be careful what they wish for.

I agree to an extent BOF but say for example La Liga kicks off after the Premiership and you've Real or Barca sign a key player from a team, after the window has closed they can't replace that player at all. You need to have it July 31st I think for it to work properly.

They should close it August 1st

While I agree with this I think a better solution would be to have it 31st of August as present but any player moving from the same country/league would have to be concluded before the start of the season.

I think closing the window on July 31st is a good idea. Once the season starts teams should know their squads until the January window.

To be fair the fact United could not conclude their business means they'll probably extend it if anything.

I agree to an extent BOF but say for example La Liga kicks off after the Premiership and you've Real or Barca sign a key player from a team, after the window has closed they can't replace that player at all. You need to have it July 31st I think for it to work properly.

Yeah that's true too. I suppose the ideal situation would be to synchronise the major leagues' kick off date and do it that way. You're probably right that under the current system, you probably have to leave it open until a date that is common to everyone otherwise you get the situation you outlined.

Yeah that's true too. I suppose the ideal situation would be to synchronise the major leagues' kick off date and do it that way. You're probably right that under the current system, you probably have to leave it open until a date that is common to everyone otherwise you get the situation you outlined.

Ya, or as I said above that, if you stopped Country to Country transfers the weekend before the season kicked off that would be much better for all concerned parties.

I think closing the window on July 31st is a good idea. Once the season starts teams should know their squads until the January window.

To be fair the fact United could not conclude their business means they'll probably extend it if anything.

I think the only consequence there will be Woodward updating his CV :P

Go back to how it used to be,  closing in March

So the Citys of the world could cherry pick your best players as and when a team or a player became a nuisance, totally de-railing their season? They're gonna do it anyway, so it's best they aren't allowed to do it right when you're on the cusp of achieving something.
  • Like 1

So the Citys of the world could cherry pick your best players as and when a team or a player became a nuisance, totally de-railing their season? They're gonna do it anyway, so it's best they aren't allowed to do it right when you're on the cusp of achieving something.

And not to talk about how Sky and tabloid rags would just milk it every day and pestering players, teams and managers with the rumours. At least in the current system they get some peace for the first 3-4 months and last three months.

:o  Good god no. Imagine if we lost Benteke in March last season! :wacko: At least if ou lose a player in January in theory you still have time to recover.

Edited by villa89

The transfer window is a good idea, it should remain. It brings stability and for the rest of the season one can do research and plan ahead, and you don't risk losing your best player right before an important game or when you are doing really well.

However, the only right thing to do is to change the dates. The problem is of course the different starts to the seasons in every country, which EASILY could be set on the same day. Pushing a week here and there must be a small thing to do right? The January-window should be open for two weeks, that's more than enough time for everyone involved.

We see it every year, the season starts and then you have this frenzy at the end of August and January. Focus is lost from the real deal which is the football on the pitch, and sites like SkySports and every other rag in the world are headlining lies about who is going where. Nothing happens before the end of the month anyway, so make it happen before the seasons starts.

Â