Buying a used car

Troglodyte

Hello fellow Villa supporters and occasional random internet people.

I know next to nothing about cars, but I'm soon going to be needing a new one.  I'm almost 25 and currently have a W-reg Fiesta, which is the second car I've owned, the first being a P-reg Fiesta.  Clearly, I'm not a particularly thrill-seeking type in general.

However, the car's on its way out and I'd like to get something slightly more exciting before I become boring and have to spend all my money on children etc, and I've moved house recently so will be driving a slightly longer to get to/from work (little over an hour a day though, so not a huge amount of time really).  I'm probably looking at £4k tops, although I'd possibly stretch to £5k for something ideal.

Basically, I want something that's fairly reliable (I'm hardly wealthy, being in my second year of teaching at the moment, and know very little about maintenance/repairs myself) but fun/sporty, without looking ridiculous, costing too much to run, or being too big.  I would love an RX8 - I've always liked them and apparently they're great to drive - but the economy is terrible and, from what I've read, I fear that I'd be paying for expensive repairs after a few months.

However, I've not really seen anything else that I really want.  I thought about a Fiesta ST but they seem a little boy racer-y, and an MX5 but they look a bit like a woman's car to me, and I've heard they're awful in poor conditions.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

That's the thing, generally I'd be happy with something like that, but just for a couple of years I'd like something a bit more exciting, without having to worry too much about costs etc - I just don't know if that's possible with my budget.

4003359.jpg

different?

currently for sale for £2995 in Worcester

drive it for 18 months with the other grand in the bank for any garage bills

sell it in 18 months / 2 years for the same money you bought it for

tax exempt

classic insurance

free motoring

My suggestions:

Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI

Seat-Ibiza_Cupra_1.9_TDI_2004_800x600_wa

160 ps, 230 lb ft, 60 MPG, incredible pull and power, £250 will give you 200 ps and 300 lb ft. Ultra reliable, racing parts such as 312mm discs and AP Racing 4 pots.

Skoda Octavia vRS mk2

skoda-octavia-2006-blue-met-hatchback-vr

Petrol version is affordable in your budget, 200 ps, very smooth modern engine, great chassis, really nice interior. Essentially a Golf GTI with a boot.

4011779.jpg

1972 Lincoln Continental, £4,900

not sure what the mpg is but it looks quite economical

if you could get yourself a big hat and a cane and persuade your missus to dress a bit skanky you'd have the whole look going on

• Like 2

the Lincoln is up north, whiplegate* or some such place, but currently for sale in the UK

it wasn't a serious suggestion, the Merc was!

* actually its Kirkwhelpington, Northumberland

Edited by chrisp65

Â