Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

That was one of the biggest bottle jobs I’ve ever seen in any sport. It took being French to a whole new level. Completely agree that France threw it away rather than Wales won it. Sets Wales up very nicely for a tilt at the title. 

Ireland England today will be very close. Ultimately, I think Ireland’s settled game plan and combinations will be too much for us and they’ll win by 6-9 points.

Fantastic result for England yesterday, brilliant in attack and defence and to top it off the Irish guy at work was so confident of a win that he agreed to wear an England shirt to work and announce that Farrell is twice the player Sexton is if Ireland lost!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm not remotely interested in rugby, but this England-Scotland game is phenomenal. From 31-0 to 31-38.  

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

38-38. Wow. 

Both sets of players look disapponted. 

I was disappointed for Scotland

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Fair play to Wales. Terrific performance from them today.

That's how not to bottle a grand slam game.

That was absolutely solid from Wales

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
34 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Former Wales and Lions international Gareth thomas has announced he has Aids:o

It was a huge thing to come out back in 2009, so if this raises more awareness and understanding then fair play to him for raising his hand again. 

• Like 1

It's nearly upon us. Think world rugby missed a trick though with the fixture scheduling. Japan were always going to open as hosts, that's a given. But a tier v tier 3 nation as the opening game of a major tournament is poor. It's more to do id imagine with Japan getting off the mark. They are been well looked after as hosts too. 7 days at least between each game. I'd be surprised if any other tier 2 or 3 nation has been given that. With that said France v Argentina, The blacks v the boks and Ireland v Scotland opening weekend is great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

It's nearly upon us. Think world rugby missed a trick though with the fixture scheduling. Japan were always going to open as hosts, that's a given. But a tier v tier 3 nation as the opening game of a major tournament is poor. It's more to do id imagine with Japan getting off the mark. They are been well looked after as hosts too. 7 days at least between each game. I'd be surprised if any other tier 2 or 3 nation has been given that. With that said France v Argentina, The blacks v the boks and Ireland v Scotland opening weekend is great.

We have a thread for the World Cup 

World cup

• 1 month later...

Saracens to appeal 35-point deduction and £5.36m fine for breaching salary cap rules

Premiership and European champions Saracens have been deducted 35 points and fined £5.36m for breaching salary cap regulations in three seasons.

The punishment comes after an investigation into business partnerships between chairman Nigel Wray and some of the club's players.

Saracens will appeal and have described the sanctions as "heavy-handed".

A Premiership Rugby statement said both punishments would be suspended if Saracens chose to review the decision.

Official league tables have already been updated to show Sarries bottom of the Premiership with -26 points.

I don't really follow league rugby, but found this interesting because of potential parallels to Fosun/Mendes potentially doing deals outside of Wolves to get players to sign ie Fosun agreeing to waive their share of agent fee in order to be able to pay the player more or simply push down FFP costs.

The above about Wolves is pure speculation and I have no idea if there actually will be any relevant parallels.

It's an interesting case as my mates who are big rugby fans always sing the praises of the salary cap for keeping things more competitive and stopping spending getting out of hand. In reality the team who are comfortably the most successful over the last few years are finding other ways to renumerate players and effectively paying way more. I still think the decision is a harsh one and it looks more to me that loopholes need to be closed as opposed to this contravening rules (much the same way as staidum sales for FFP). I also take the owners point that a lot of these players struggle after retiring from playing and how can they be punished for long term business investments etc into players that will give them a future after rugby.

• Like 1

Â