Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

As a Wasps fan, I too am mystified by the exclusion of Launchpad. The guy is a baby faced beast and one of the most consistent players in the NH.

He did make the England squad for the Argie tour, but in another just as mysterious move, there was no place for the Premiership's top try scorer, Christian Wade.

How the hell he didn't make it I'll never know, I really hope EJ comes out and says why. A lot is made of his supposed defensive frailties but apart from his height issue under the high ball, he can tackle like a good un. He's a lethal finisher and creates tries out of nothing (witness his efforts against Leinster and Northampton recently), surely that has to be worth something.

I think that Launchbury's exclusion was quite possibly political. By which I mean second rows from other nations were included to up their quota of players. He was the unfortunate fall guy out of England's quartet of deserving tourists. 

Henderson and Jones are quality players, though. 

Edited by JB

• 2 weeks later...

I've won some VIP tickets to Wigan Warriors v Salford on Friday, but I have no interest in Rugby at all (I only entered the competition on twitter because it looked like no one had entered/ retweeted it, so I thought 'why not!?')

Anyone here have any idea how much these would go for? Or know anyone who would be interested in going?

• 10 months later...

Congratulations to Ireland on the Grand Slam. Best team in the tournament by a mile so well deserved.

England have been dreadful, though. They're now a side as bad as the team that got shunted out of the last World Cup in my view.

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Congratulations to Ireland on the Grand Slam. Best team in the tournament by a mile so well deserved.

England have been dreadful, though. They're now a side as bad as the team that got shunted out of the last World Cup in my view.

I disagree, they are worse

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I disagree, they are worse

:)

Possibly.

Apparently Jones has come out and said that there are some players that have played their last game for England. So, sod all to do with his coaching then?

I wonder whether he still thinks Ireland are 'scummy'? Silly arse.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

What's happened to England? Why are we suddenly poor?

A combination of important injuries, ageing players and dare I say it, a little arrogance in the camp.

bizarrely it’s probably for the best we’ve screwed up this 6 Nations - a few players will finally be put to seed and the new breed know they’ve got a great opportunity ahead of them. 

Fair play, Ireland - what a fecking outstanding team. Not always the prettiest to watch but so well organised. They’d seriously challenge the ABs at the moment. Streets ahead of every other side in the 6N and a well-deserved Grand Slam.

England are staggeringly poor. It’s been coming for ages. They haven’t looked convincing since the Scotland game last year. I don’t know if the players are over-trained, knackered from the Lions or what but they look lethargic, physically weak and brainless. They play with absolutely no nous whatsoever and there appears to be no attacking plan other than try to bosh it up the middle, which won’t work without Billy and an effective backrow to compete at the breakdown. They always seem to take the ball from a standing start rather than running onto it at pace. Eddie’s taken us backwards and some of the stuff he’s been coming out with in the press suggest that things will only get worse. I was at the Wales game and watching the second half in the Millennium Stadium was painful!

Elliot Daly is pretty much the only positive. A class above and one of the best players in the world IMO.

I’m probably going to sound like a massive word removed here and I’d like to preface it by saying that I don’t think it’s had any bearing on results or is in any way to blame for England losing but England are having a really rough time with the officials. It’s usually swings and roundabouts but the way things have been I’m finding it very hard to believe that there isn’t some sort of sub-conscious (or perhaps conscious in some cases...) bias from some referees against England. Many times we bring it on ourselves and there are undoubtedly differences in how the Premiership is officiated that are costing us but we’ve been on the wrong side of too many 50/50 calls. Ireland would’ve found a way to beat us regardless but that ref yesterday really did his best to stop us being at all competitive, following on from the shocker he had as touch judge in the France game. Nige only reffed one team in the Scotland game. I HATE moaning about refs but occasionally a conversation needs to be had. Even my Welsh mates have been saying that there’s something not right!

Edited by JB
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Â