Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

Agreed but I've heard many calls that its a great advert for the staggered kick off times. Thats only true today because the kick off times worked in favour of the spectacle. With the contenders playing by quirk of fate in the order of least favourite first in the fixture that on paper was the easiest.

I don't think today ought to have any bearing as to the staggering of the kick off times.

I don't mind the staggering of the kick offs and I think that rugby benefits hugely from the BBC's coverage of the 6 nations and playing the final games on the final day simultaneously would be detrimental to that.

Agreed but I've heard many calls that its a great advert for the staggered kick off times. Thats only true today because the kick off times worked in favour of the spectacle. With the contenders playing by quirk of fate in the order of least favourite first in the fixture that on paper was the easiest.

I don't think today ought to have any bearing as to the staggering of the kick off times.

I don't mind the staggering of the kick offs and I think that rugby benefits hugely from the BBC's coverage of the 6 nations and playing the final games on the final day simultaneously would be detrimental to that.

I don't mind them either if I'm honest but what I can't stand is people in the meejah using todays great sport as some sort of justification for them because had the fixtures been in a different order the day might not have been anywhere near as entertaining and exciting

• Like 1

Haskell cost us today the **** moron. He has been good for the previous matches, but WTF was he doing when he tripped the French player up? Tosser.

Keep the 'match thread' analysis for that thread, please.

Really? **** moron?

Bloody hell. :(

What was he doing when tripping the player up? He was making a mistake.

That mistake did not cost England the six nations.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Well said.

Haskell made a mistake in the blink of an eye. Nobody knows that more than him, probably.

I thought the obstruction on Jonathan Joseph could have been carded too, but hey-ho.

It was a fantastic game though, proper edge of the seat, heart in your mouth stuff.

Well done Ireland, but if anyone other than England was going to win it, I'd have preferred the Welsh.

As a nation, maybe.  ;)

But in a rugby sense, I know who I prefer to watch.

The way Ireland defeated England was effective yes, especially against a relatively inexperienced side like England's. But ugh.

The following week, Saracens defeated Wasps at the Ricoh with virtually the same tactics and it was awful to watch except for the first 16 minutes in which Wasps played some decent rugby and scored 2 fantastic tries.

England were far more effective when they threw it around rather than kicked it today, so hopefully Lancaster will see this as the way forward. We've a very slim chance of winning the RWC, but it would be nicer to go down actually playing Rugby.

It's the luck of the draw, really. If Ireland won last week today would have been a lot duller.

I like the format as it is. If I would change anything it would be to push defences 10 meters back and to ban the choke tackle.

You do realise the amount of concussion in game at moment is very very high, if you push defences back 10 , you are guaranteed to treble the concussion, as for choke tackle , I see it as an art , Les kiss introduced it to the Irish game, if anything it speeds the game up with attackers know they must either use the ball or take it to ground

• 2 weeks later...

Leinster-Bath was a cracking game. As you say, Ford was a bit hot and cold but when he's hot he's great little player.

Looking forward to Toulon-Wasps tomorrow, they're on a hiding to nothing really, but I guess you never know over 80 mins. Could have done with Wade being fit for this one though.

• 1 month later...

Dramatic doesn't begin to describe it. Cracking stuff.

The Midlands will be a hotbed of Premiership rugby next season.

Warriors will need to invest heavily if they don't want to be the next Welsh though.

• Like 1

I'm a Saracens fan so Saturday could be a really good day!

Well, you had some consolation. ;)

What a piece of footwork by Strettle (so disappointed that he didn't become the international wing I thought he'd be).

On the other side, from the highlights I saw I was very impressed by Sam Burgess in the loose.

What's the general view on England not picking players who play abroad? Seems to have been in the media a fair bit over the last week or so. 

The defence is that it protects the English league and keeps the (majority) of the good players there. The opposite side is that players are being penalised for wanting to improve themselves abroad in a stronger league. 

Â