Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

The Lions selection will be interesting, no doubt chock full of welsh players (regardless of them being lucky to have won the recent six nations)

I’ll put money on the only English players included being Cowan-Dickie, Itoje and Curry. 

I half expect Farrell to be included too but he shouldn’t anywhere near the squad as there are better options at both 10 and 12 in other nations squads. 

Would love to see Sam Simmonds called up for one in the eye to Eddie Jones... 

Fly-halfs will be from Biggar, Finn Russell, Sexton, and an outside shot for Joe Simmonds. With Gatland being a pragmatist I don't think he'll want to take players who haven't been playing elite level rugby this season, especially in such a key position.

If Farrell goes it'll be as a 12 and for his previous Lions experience, but there are many better choices for 12 based on recent form including Robbie Henshaw and Jonathon Davies who played very well for Wales when he moved in from 13. The way Farrell, amongst a few others, were dismantled by SA in the RWC final in 19 will have been noted too.

I agree Itoje will go, but I can also see Anthony Watson going for his versatility in the back 3. Personally, I love watching him with the ball in hand. I don't think there'll be many English players going, which will only further highlight Eddie's poor squad selection and tactics for the 6 nations.

Rightly so, I believe the squad will be mostly made up of Welsh and Irish players.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I half expect Farrell to be included too but he shouldn’t anywhere near the squad as there are better options at both 10 and 12 in other nations squads. 

Almost certain he’ll tour, like you say he shouldn’t, but he will .

4 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I agree Itoje will go, but I can also see Anthony Watson going for his versatility in the back 3. Personally, I love watching him with the ball in hand. I don't think there'll be many English players going, which will only further highlight Eddie's poor squad selection and tactics for the 6 nations.

Agree on Watson going as well. 

I still wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple other English as well. Jamie George has  credit in the bank with Garland and I could see someone like Lawes getting the call up

• Like 1

Sam Underhill should go. I honestly think that he’s one of the best players in the northern hemisphere. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Tuilagi in there, particularly with North out. 

I don’t think any sides deserve to dominate the selection. It was a poor 6N quality-wise. England were the worst of a pretty average bunch. 

• Like 1

Both Lawes and Tuilagi are injured and won't have much chance, if any, to prove fitness. Lawes was ruled out for a few months at the start of March. Manu did his Achilles last year, and I suffered that fate and it stopped me ever playing again. Granted he's a professional player, but it takes a while to recover from.

Real shame about Lawes, his physicality would be great against the boks.

Edit. With North and May ruled out too, I don't want any more drop outs. Be a shame if injuries ruined the tour before it started, as we'll definitely pick up a few in the warm up games.

Edited by Jonesy7211

21 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Both Lawes and Tuilagi are injured and won't have much chance, if any, to prove fitness. Lawes was ruled out for a few months at the start of March. Manu did his Achilles last year, and I suffered that fate and it stopped me ever playing again. Granted he's a professional player, but it takes a while to recover from.

Real shame about Lawes, his physicality would be great against the boks.

Edit. With North and May ruled out too, I don't want any more drop outs. Be a shame if injuries ruined the tour before it started, as we'll definitely pick up a few in the warm up games.

Hadn’t seen Lawes was injured again. In which case yes a big loss. 
Agree that Manu shouldn’t be picked, but it’s amazing how many people who have played with or against him, say if he has a chance to be fit for the last 2 years they’d pick him as he’s that good. 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Hadn’t seen Lawes was injured again. In which case yes a big loss. 
Agree that Manu shouldn’t be picked, but it’s amazing how many people who have played with or against him, say if he has a chance to be fit for the last 2 years they’d pick him as he’s that good. 

I don't doubt his ability, he's an incredible centre. Completely unique, so powerful and explosive. He's had so many injuries the last few years, I just don't think he'll be fit enough.

Ah I thought Tuilagi had already recovered. Just checked and he’s still a few weeks away. Very unlikely he’ll be picked but wouldn’t rule him out completely. I doubt Gatland will have forgotten the job he did on the All Blacks and Ireland in the recent past. 

Bloody love Lions squad announcements. 

37 strong rather than 36. Extra place to accommodate Tuilagi? Or possibly to avoid any backlash from not picking Russell?

Unlucky @bickster - apparently Elliot Daly has made the cut.

Some surprises in that squad. Think we all knew AWJ would be captain although he still may not start. 
Shocked at Daly, Hill, Aki and with his recent injuries Lawes.

Simmonds is form player so credit to them for picking him.

The Simmonds pick is certainly a swipe at Eddie Jones by Gatland.

Problem is, regardless if Simmonds performs with the Lions (and I’m sure he will) Jones will be too stubborn to pick him and therefore be proven wrong. 

I also have no idea how some of the Sarries players are included too. George, Vunipola, Farrell and Daly were atrocious in the Six Nations and lacking international match fitness. I appreciate Farrell can play several positions and a leader on the pitch but still think he’s a bit of a nob at times.

Interesting squad and chuffed at the inclusions of Hamish Watson and Tom Curry who have the Lions warrior spirit in abundance. Include Simmonds in that back row and whilst the height is an issue there is plenty of raw power, aggression and line breaking pace to have a go at any nation. 

Edited by theboyangel

Astonished at some of the picks. I do wonder if he's gone for 'name" rather than form. Daly and Farrell have been poor at international level for some time. Only serious reason they would have been picked I can fathom is so they can be utility backs. Even considering that, I'm not sure picking a player with such poor technique in the tackle like Daly is a good idea against a very physical SA.

On the flip side, I can't see either of them starting any of the tests. Too many in form players in ahead of them.

Very happy for Sam Simmonds. Except that if he does get called up to the England squad now the media will say it's because he was picked for the Lions.

Bundee Aki is an interesting one. Not sure either way, given his high profile discipline issues.

• Like 1

In the backs Aki and Daly are huge surprises. I’m guessing Daly for boot and Aki size gets him in with North getting injured. 
Farrell was always going unless injured. Yes his form has been off, but it’s someone who captains England to a World Cup final, beating the likes of New Zealand and Australia. He runs the defence and did so for the last lions tour as well. He may not be a fan favourite, but he must be a coach’s dream. Gatland was not turning that down. 
Sexton can feel a little aggrieved, but I’m guessing third choice FH was between him and Russell, Russell is so different to the others that he could change a game more so gets the nod.

Jamie George again, last 6 months been off form, but prior to that he’s been one of the best hookers in the world the last 3 yrs, always going to travel. 

Billy V, the competition for the back row is immense, probably the hardest part, so Gatland can afford to not take him on reputation. Fair play to Simmonds, deserves his spot, the likes of Underhill (will he captain England in the summer?) and Navidi are probably a bit unlucky not to go.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

In the backs Aki and Daly are huge surprises. I’m guessing Daly for boot and Aki size gets him in with North getting injured. 
Farrell was always going unless injured. Yes his form has been off, but it’s someone who captains England to a World Cup final, beating the likes of New Zealand and Australia. He runs the defence and did so for the last lions tour as well. He may not be a fan favourite, but he must be a coach’s dream. Gatland was not turning that down. 
Sexton can feel a little aggrieved, but I’m guessing third choice FH was between him and Russell, Russell is so different to the others that he could change a game more so gets the nod.

Jamie George again, last 6 months been off form, but prior to that he’s been one of the best hookers in the world the last 3 yrs, always going to travel. 

Billy V, the competition for the back row is immense, probably the hardest part, so Gatland can afford to not take him on reputation. Fair play to Simmonds, deserves his spot, the likes of Underhill (will he captain England in the summer?) and Navidi are probably a bit unlucky not to go.

Agree with all of that. 

I suspect Daly has been picked as a centre and Farrell as a 10. Neither have had great 2021s but haven’t been helped by Eddie Jones playing them out of position.

Look very weak at scrum half and centre. I wouldn’t have picked Aki or Harris. Davies is class and a big game player so would’ve picked him for sure and made space for Tuilagi just in case.

Underhill, Navidi, James Ryan and Sinkler also really unlucky but you’ve got to be most gutted for Jonny May. Scored a collection of absolute worldies over the past few years and been solid under the high ball but been left out in favour of a couple of players who had a reasonable six nations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JB said:

Agree with all of that. 

I suspect Daly has been picked as a centre and Farrell as a 10. Neither have had great 2021s but haven’t been helped by Eddie Jones playing them out of position.

Look very weak at scrum half and centre. I wouldn’t have picked Aki or Harris. Davies is class and a big game player so would’ve picked him for sure and made space for Tuilagi just in case.

Underhill, Navidi, James Ryan and Sinkler also really unlucky but you’ve got to be most gutted for Jonny May. Scored a collection of absolute worldies over the past few years and been solid under the high ball but been left out in favour of a couple of players who had a reasonable six nations.

I think May has a hamstring issue at the moment so probably explains his omission. 

Still in shock Daly got called up 😮

• Like 1

It’s definitely a surprise. Gatland and co. obviously think they can bring his class out. Playing him in his correct position will help. He’s a different proposition to the other centres and of course there’s his kicking game. 

I don’t really get putting too much stall in 6N form. Wales were crap for pretty much all of 2020, then were 6N champions three months later. England won every game but one in 2020 then had a shocking 6N. If form can vary so wildly between December and February then it doesn’t make sense to assume it will be the same from March to July.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JB said:

It’s definitely a surprise. Gatland and co. obviously think they can bring his class out. Playing him in his correct position will help. He’s a different proposition to the other centres and of course there’s his kicking game. 

I don’t really get putting too much stall in 6N form. Wales were crap for pretty much all of 2020, then were 6N champions three months later. England won every game but one in 2020 then had a shocking 6N. If form can vary so wildly between December and February then it doesn’t make sense to assume it will be the same from March to July.

Autumn Internationals are really just friendlies though aren't they, time for experimentation etc Doing in the 6N is what its all about. I don't think Autumn and Winter form is worth comparing

Â