Rocket League

hogso

Play with mates. I can't stress that enough. This game is at it's best when you're playing 3 v 3 with 2 mates, coordinating and backing eachother up.

It's fun to just hop on and find a match and go, but like FIFA, playing with your mates is where the game really hits it's stride

Yeah the early VT nights where we had 8 people on playing private 4v4 (remember, that actually happened! In fact didn't we have people waiting to play too?) were great fun, but it continued to be so as those who stuck around improved. 

Speaking of 1v1, I started my quest to get my new ranking in that yesterday. Lost 3-4, 2-6, then won 4-1. So I wouldn't be surprised if I get my lowest ranking for it. Hadn't played 1v1 for ages, it's very unforgiving. 

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Also, solo? As in 1v1?

As in the the least popular, least played mode?

Can't really form an opinion on the game after 5 games of that.

No as in 3v3 but I was playing without friends.  Could be a completely different game once friends start playing it too!  

It's good don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not criticising the game.  Possibly criticising the hype it receives...  Time will tell..  

Edited by PieFacE

I had my most fun non VT game last night. Got a bit bored of the same game plan so I went old school and just demolished both the players we were against. Ended up with 9 demolitions, won 2-0 and both goals came off me blowing up the opponent.  I had some Scandinavian guy going ape at me over the mic calling me every name under the sun :crylaugh:Nowhere near as fun as having 4 players parking the bus on the goal line though! 

I don't get why anyone would be disappointed with this game, it's easily one of the best games I've played.

• Like 1

That's the best tactic ever.

I still maintain that if the opposition calmed down and just let one person attack, they'd easily score. But it's hilarious when they're all just fighting each other off to score.

That team yesterday nearly scored an own goal with us all sat on our own goalline :D

• Like 1

On 2/20/2016 at 08:42, villarule123 said:

I don't get why anyone would be disappointed with this game, it's easily one of the best games I've played.

It's easily THE best multiplayer game I've ever played.

Granted I'm not a big multi player gamer. Not liking losing and being crap at games isn't a good combination for online gaming. 

But Rocket League is just incredibly fun.

For the Xboners who aren't enamoured with it, I'd get a gorup of at least 4 of you together and play it. Way more fun that way, especially when you're starting.

4v4 is shit.

We make it fun by doing our on the line tactic, but that's a novelty, I'm sure it would wear off if we did it all the time.

Playing 4v4 normally is horrible.

Doubles or standard are the best gamemodes by far.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's the best tactic ever.

I still maintain that if the opposition calmed down and just let one person attack, they'd easily score. But it's hilarious when they're all just fighting each other off to score.

That team yesterday nearly scored an own goal with us all sat on our own goalline :D

I find the same thing when you have a player or two drop out and you're playing 3 on 2 or 3 on 1. Sometimes it feels harder to score, because the players that are left park the bus and you just expect things to happen.

Obviously, the important trick to learn from this sort of stuff is the massive value in exploding other cars as a deliberate tactic. I've figured it out in the last day or two and suddenly i'm saving and creating goals that i'd have had no part of a few days ago. I've actually rocketed past the ball a few times to destroy the keeper to let my teammate score and it feels better than scoring myself

Yeah I've done that a couple of times playing with Jono or Stefan. Let them dribble and just charge the keeper.

Even if you don't hit them, they'll likely panic or have to dodge you meaning they're not set up for the save.

I really enjoy 4v4, but yeah there is a reason it's not a ranked match type. I'll play as a dedicated defender hitting teams on the break and attempted long range aerials when I do play it, find the congestion in the middle and attacking thirds can get a bit much.

Still haven't played 10 matches for my 1v1 ranking, but I'm getting there.

Also, how awesome is Underpass? Man I hope they make a proper skin for it and make it available for private matches and unranked. Ranked maybe not so much as it would offer too much of an advantage to the good aerial players...but then they put Wasteland in to the playlist for ranked, so who knows. Also finding the unexpected unlocks of 'uncommon' toppers/antennas a nice little bonus, got a waffle the other day :excl:

Edited by hogso

4 minutes ago, hogso said:

Yeah that's it, with a massive roof so the ball can stay in the air for ages. 

And cheat aerials a bit? Oh do tell! 

You know how when you aerial, you can still use your second jump to do a flip at the end to add power or adjust drastically, as long as your aerial is short (dunno the time limit, but less than a 2 seconds would be my guess). It's something I like to do a lot, especially in defence.

Well, that second jump time limit doesn't happen when you don't use your first jump to start your aerial.

So if you use a ramp, for example, in Underpass to get in the air, and then your boost to execute you aerial, you still have that second jump in the bag to do a flip at the end no matter how long you aerial for.

In fact, as you haven't jumped in the first place, you might even have a double jump in the bag in that scenario.

Dunno if that made sense or not :D

Â