Rocket League

hogso

Next map in a few weeks is 'utopia coliseum' - a normal pitch inspired by the original utopia in sarpbc, which was most definitely not normal.

From one of the devs

We have always felt the cars should be the same. By "same" I mean they have the same stats in terms of speed and strength of hitting the ball. The only differences we allowed were slight differences in hitbox size so the visual size of the car aligns with the collision. We were careful to minimize these size differences. However with physics, a tiny change can cause a different overall feel. Sliding out behavior and this kickoff behavior are good examples of how that small change can produce different behavior. If we find that any car gives a distinct advantage we will correct it.
  • Like 1

So, rather than there being any weight difference affecting my performance versus larger cars at kick off, it's down to the hit box instead...makes sense I guess. I've tidied up my kick offs recently though, don't really 'lose' them now

Edited by hogso

So, rather than there being any weight difference affecting my performance versus larger cars at kick off, it's down to the hit box instead...makes sense I guess. I've tidied up my kick offs recently though, don't really 'lose' them now

I more often than not get the first touch at a kickoff.

But 1v1 the majority of the time I "lose" them. In so much as I come off second best. The ball always seems to bounce towards my goal and I get thrown miles to the other side of the map.

WHat's your approach?

If I hold back I either get chipped or I have a difficult shot to save on the line.

• Like 1

Don't do a front flip to get the ball at kick off, just do a normal jump as soon as you hit the ball.

If you do a front flip then you have no control of where your car is going and are vulnerable to them just walking the ball into the net.

By no means an expert, that's just what I've learnt!

• Like 1

I find the front flip is necessary to get you there first. Otherwise they'll beat you to it.

But I guess getting there first isn't necessarily a good thing!

• Like 1

Nope, if you get there second, then more than likely the player who gets there first will hit the ball into you, so the ball will be propelled in the direction your facing.

I tend to firstly try to see what my opponent is doing (a lot harder than on sarpbc), but generally boost forwards, hold off ever so slightly, then flip.

Yeah, I try to see what my opponent is doing too. 

If we are both boosting towards the ball and I think my opponent is going to get there at the same time as me I usually tend to do a little jump just as I'm about to get to the ball and 99% of the time the ball will go nowhere near your own goal. It is also dependant on what vehicle you are using as well though. 

• Like 1

Nope, if you get there second, then more than likely the player who gets there first will hit the ball into you, so the ball will be propelled in the direction your facing.

I tend to firstly try to see what my opponent is doing (a lot harder than on sarpbc), but generally boost forwards, hold off ever so slightly, then flip.

Played a lot of 1v1 last night. This worked perfectly.

Apart from the odd time you misjudge it so are way too slow, it works.

After a while it seems to make your opponent bottle it too and they start to stay back on their line, which is almost a guaranteed goal if you compose yourself.

• Like 1

Â