Rocket League

hogso

I think we all have our weaknesses. 

Mine is that I'm too defensive. And I'm not patient enough in attack. I don't let the ball drop and tend to just smash it forward as soon as possible. I can't help myself. Half the time I do something rash and then I think "If i'd just taken half a second to line that up I'd have scored". Oh and I still can't dribble for shit.
Basically I'm like a villa player. 

I think Stefan and Jono's weakness is the same and it's trying to do everything themselves. Which is why if you play with them in a 3v3 game they spend the whole time banging into each other and trying to do the same thing as each other :D. When it comes off it's spectacular but when it doesn't you're left waiting in the middle for a cross that never arrives. 
I think you need to have a certain amount of faith in your teammate. As in if you see him taking it down the side then you have to have faith that they'll get the ball into the centre for you. Instead of going over and trying to do it yourself. 
Oh and playing the ball backwards!

That being said, both of you are far FAR better players than I am so I can't really talk :) 

I don't play with Laps enough to know his weaknesses. But I imagine he somehow manages to run everyone over with a bin lorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we all have our weaknesses. 

Mine is that I'm too defensive. And I'm not patient enough in attack. I don't let the ball drop and tend to just smash it forward as soon as possible. I can't help myself. Half the time I do something rash and then I think "If i'd just taken half a second to line that up I'd have scored". Oh and I still can't dribble for shit.
Basically I'm like a villa player. 

I think Stefan and Jono's weakness is the same and it's trying to do everything themselves. Which is why if you play with them in a 3v3 game they spend the whole time banging into each other and trying to do the same thing as each other :D. When it comes off it's spectacular but when it doesn't you're left waiting in the middle for a cross that never arrives. 
I think you need to have a certain amount of faith in your teammate. As in if you see him taking it down the side then you have to have faith that they'll get the ball into the centre for you. Instead of going over and trying to do it yourself. 
Oh and playing the ball backwards!

That being said, both of you are far FAR better players than I am so I can't really talk :) 

I don't play with Laps enough to know his weaknesses. But I imagine he somehow manages to run everyone over with a bin lorry.

:crylaugh:  

Oh please can we do that one with @StefanAVFC PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. 

My weakness is that I'm shit at RL.  I am TERRIBLE as soon as I have to go up the wall.  I'll hit 2/10 tries.  I wait too long for aerials to jump, but I'm not bad when I get up.  That said, I'm terrible at tempering the ball for finesse. 

I'm hesitant and sometimes I'll just do everything too quickly, so I get frantic. 

I've started to control the ball better, and am okay at following up efforts that rebound off the side walls first time.  that's about it. 

@villarule123 and @StefanAVFC can't dribble past me anymore either - I am Maldini. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm terrible at going up the wall too.

I'm convinced that switching off ball cam at those points would help, but I never have the awareness to do it in the heat of a match.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm using ball cam 50% of the time now and I think i've improved because of it.

Stevo, your points are fair but I'm not as bad as Jono for doing everything alone :D

You used to use "the other" cam 100% of the time?

I use nothing but ball cam unless I'm going for boost and am retreating from the ball and can't see exactly where it is! :o  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I use nothing but ball cam unless I'm going for boost and am retreating from the ball and can't see exactly where it is! :o  

Yeah. Crazy, I know :P

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Jono does that too. 

It seems mental to me. 

I don't know how you keep track of where the ball is if you're not using ball cam. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I used ball cam 10% of the time whilst on the ball and 50% off the ball. 

But surely you just spend most of the time pressing triangle?! 

I watched a video earlier on tips because I though "how can I get better" and one of things was changing your boost button to square so you can climb faster and still control the thumb sticks or something.

Does/has anyone else changed their set-ups? 

Mines basically the same as default settings, apart from my L1/L2 R1/R2 buttons are flipped. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Maybe this is why I'm shit at dribbling!? :o  

I'd say so yes. Might also explain why so few can/will do it. Most people play with ball cam. 

I'll upload a video later showing how easy the PC version is to dribble. It will also show how much I use the cameras. 

• Like 2

Just now, villarule123 said:

I'd say so yes. Might also explain why so few can/will do it. Most people play with ball cam. 

I'll upload a video later showing how easy the PC version is to dribble. It will also show how much I use the cameras. 

That would genuinely be interesting. 

• Like 1

Just now, villarule123 said:

Sarcasm?? :(

Nope, I want to get into your head.

I honestly can't see the advantage of seeing only what's in front of you, apart from dribbling.

So much goes on OFF THE BALL in RL - I find it bonkers you can play that way.  

It's not just when you're going toe to toe either, there's a bunch of stuff happening above you.  

You don't know what's happening 90 degrees from you, which is basically where most of the games take place, in the corners.  If you're retreating, you can't see other people striking the ball and it's position.  If you're hitting the ball, you don't know where the team mate is etc.

One thing I've been begging out for in RL is a radar - it would be invaluable to me. 

• Like 1

Yeah dribbling is easier without ball cam. Definitely. 

When I've tried to practise it to get better I've always had to turn off ball cam to be anywhere near competent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

But surely you just spend most of the time pressing triangle?! 

I watched a video earlier on tips because I though "how can I get better" and one of things was changing your boost button to square so you can climb faster and still control the thumb sticks or something.

Does/has anyone else changed their set-ups? 

Mines basically the same as default settings, apart from my L1/L2 R1/R2 buttons are flipped. 

Not button, but camera settings I have experimented with a lot, and they're now considerably different to the default 

Â