Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

FWIW, this is what Yahoo sport are saying this morning. Bit vague but it's early!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/league-cup-tuesday-team-news-195740748--sow.html

Aston Villa v Tottenham

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert is set to make sweeping changes to his line-up. Gabriel Agbonlahor and Antonio Luna are almost certain to sit out after returning from injury problems in Saturday's Premier League win at Norwich. Jed Steer is set to replace Brad Guzan in goal and there are also expected to be starting places for the likes of Nicklas Helenius and Yacouba Sylla.

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas will ring the changes at Aston Villa. The Spurs boss has expressed his frustration that the fixture takes place just two days after their Premier League win in Cardiff, and very few who featured in south Wales are likely to start at Villa Park. The likes of Brad Friedel, Erik Lamela, Lewis Holtby, Sandro and Vlad Chiriches could all start, but Jermain Defoe is a doubt due to a groin strain.

Steer

Lowton Vlaar Baker Bennett

Sylla KEA

Albirghton   Tonev

Helenius

Kozak

Edited by villan_007

I'll get slaughtered for this, but I'd give Tonev another start, he's trying too hard to impress atm which probably accounted for his poor display on Saturday, there's obviously some talent there, the more he plays, the more he'll relax IMO.

Edited by wedge
  • Like 1

----------Steer

-----Vlaar---Baker

Lowton--------------Bennett

---------Westwood

--------Delph--Sylla

Tonev--------------Helenius

-------------Kozak

I'll get slaughtered for this, but I'd give Tonev another start, he's trying too hard to impress atm which probably accounted for his poor display on Saturday, there's obviously some talent there, the more he plays, the more he'll relax IMO.

This! These are the games he should be playing 70-90mins in! Would love him to score a screamer too!

Looking at the injury list the team looks a bit easier to predict than usual. A couple of young guns on the bench too I would have thought unless a few are 'fit enough' for bench.

Luckily games are played on paper otherwise we'd have no chance. Kozak likes a cup game looking at his record last season so lets hope he can continue it.

Agreed! And I think the same goes for Helenius. Could be a great thing for us if they could score a goal each..

Edited by Thrice

I'd play:

-----Guzan-----

Lowton Vlaar Clark Luna

Bacuna KEA Delph Weimann

-----Kozak Gabby-----

This is more winnable than the league game against them.

I'm going to suggest you are four players away from the correct team. Gabby won't play and either will Weimann.

Sorry make that 5. Forgot about the keeper :P

No Delph, Luna and Guzan then?

After Givens performances

Last season I'm not sure I trust our back up keepers to come in unless it's necessary due to injury/suspension.

Why this is the type of game Tonev has to play to build form and confidence

I'd play:

-----Guzan-----

Lowton Vlaar Clark Luna

Bacuna KEA Delph Weimann

-----Kozak Gabby-----

This is more winnable than the league game against them.

I'm going to suggest you are four players away from the correct team. Gabby won't play and either will Weimann.

Sorry make that 5. Forgot about the keeper :P

No Delph, Luna and Guzan then?

After Givens performances

Last season I'm not sure I trust our back up keepers to come in unless it's necessary due to injury/suspension.

I'm sure Steer will be the keeper as he has been interviewed pre-match, he will need a game for that very reason - in case of injury/suspension to Guzan.

Would like to see Wiemann playing right up top he could do with a goal or two too but then again so could a few others.

I dont know why this game isn't on Wednesday as Spurs played yesterday.

Our team wont be great and Spurs have a lot of depth, they will be starting a £30m winger and at 11/10 I think I may slap a lot of money on them.

Swansea are at the sty and they're in the same boat as Spores so a simple toss up type decision I'd say. 

Why they just don't give the Welsh side a bye, I don't know!

Arsenal also playing in Birmingham (so issues with Spurs and Arsenal fans on the trains), and all three of Spurs, Swansea, and Arsenal played on Sunday. Not sure of rivalries up there, but perhaps having Villa on a day by themselves and West Brom and Birmingham sharing a day is marginally preferable to the police? Anyway, it's a mess, but the clubs get a lot of money from the TV deal so they can't complain too much.

Edited by TartarugaJones

You won't be slaughtered at all. In fact I'd be amazed if Tonev doesn't play tonight. Both in terms of the fringe players getting some game time but also to give him in particular another chance at acclimatising. I still have high hopes for him once he finds his feet. He could be the lock picker we're missing. It'd be a shame if the fans turned on him while he was trying to find his feet.
  • Like 1

Tonev has hardly played for us.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that he takes a couple of months to settle and that his performances improve from around December onwards!

I'd also imagine that if Stan were around that may help him setlle

Cant believe the stick Tonev gets