Father & Son in Football

AndyBM

a few months ago i made a topic about Brothers in Football, which had a great response due to the amount of footballing brothers in the sport :)

now with the (made up) link to tom ince, well its a no brainer as to what i thought, so who is there?

paul and tom ince

steve and alex bruce

harry and jamie redknapp

frank and frank lampard (?)

others...

alex ferguson is beleive is still involved somehow at man utd with his son also managing a club somewhere?

happy guessing

Johan and Jordi Cruyff. Jordi was shit compared to his dad but he still managed to play for Manchester United and Barcelona.

Brian & Nigel Clough.

Ian Wright & Shaun Wright-Phillips (step father)

Mark Chamberlain & Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, both England internationals too.

has a father ever played in the same side as his son?

now if someone can find a case of that it would be interesting

You could argue Eidur and Anor Gudjohnsen as mentioned above, and using your wording then I guess they did because they both played for the same team in the same match even if they weren't on the pitch at the same time.   You would have to be a pretty young father to even stand a chance of doing what the Gudjohnsen's did though, Anor was only 17 when Eidur was born. 

The Guardian seems to think that Ian Bowyer (who won the league and two European cups with Forest) and his son Gary (who is currently manager of Blackburn Rovers) played together for Hereford in 1989/90.  Gary only made 14 appearances for them that season according to Wikipedia so it's possible to search for the exact game if you are so inclined, though it is possible they played together on multiple occasions. 

Also it might be worth mentioning that there was a grandfather, father and sun combination.  George, Mike and Nicky Summerbee.  George died young though, before Nicky was born and before Mike turned pro. 

Finally a slightly related fact, Gary Kelly and Ian Harte played a couple of hundred times together for Leeds and probably fifty times together for Ireland.  Gary is Ian's uncle.  (though there is less than four years between them) 

has a father ever played in the same side as his son?

now if someone can find a case of that it would be interesting

Did Teddy Sheringham ever play with his son Charlie? I think they were at Colchester together at one point.

EDIT: Nope. Charlie never even played for Colchester. I think this article is how I got confused - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2316397/Sheringham-ready-to-face-son.html

Edited by Cizzler

Â