Positives so far.....

Woody1000

Everyone seems proper up for this season, something I've not seen in years.

We was top of the league for a few hours.

We gave Chelsea a run for their money and deffo should have got at lest 1 point from that game.

Liverpool 2nd half was way better and deffo deserved a point.

Okore looks like he's going to be great

Delph is getting better

Biggest pos for me is Luna once this guy gets a few games under his belt he's going to be special he also has a beard

Initial signs are decent. Gave all 3 top teams a run for their money and arguably should've taken points from Liverpool and Chelsea, after totally destroying Arsenal. We've taken more points from those 3 games than I was expecting us too. Luna and Okore have impressed me, also see something there in Bacuna despite his poor start to the game v Liverpool, he gradually grew into the game. Think he will improve quickly provided he gets more game time under his belt. Delph has been exceptional compared to his previous standards. Benteke keeps scoring and every goal pushes his price tag up.

think we are actually getting some recognition for how well we are playing from the media...

and hopefully other fans, popped on red café after the Chelsea game and RAWK before the Liverpool game and the general consensus was that we are a decent hard to beat team (apart from the expected idiots on RAWK who thought they'd steamroll us 8-0)

still got the faintest of hopes that gabby's form will finally be spotted by roy 

The stats don't lie! Here's what WhoScored has to say about Villa's strengths, based on our first three matches of the campaign:

avfc.PNG

DEFENDING SET PIECES - Strong, it says there. That's what it says! I am not making it up!

COMING BACK FROM LOSING POSITIONS - very strong!

PROTECTING THE LEAD - Strong!

These are not stats I would have thought possible last season. I know it's only three games in but that's very encouraging, especially given our opposition in those three games.

• Like 1

The biggest positive for me is the defence since the arrival of Jores Okore, fast, strong and positionally excellent, he brings a more confidence look to the back four; we should of had 5 or even more points from the opening 3 games. 

Only thing that has bothered me so far, expect for an embarrassing refereeing display, has been PL changing the formation (4-3-3) to one (4-4-2) that blatantly didn't work. Liverpool didn't look anything impressive after 35 minutes when we changed the formation back to 4-3-3, 9 attempts on target says it all.

Edited by Avflife

If you'd have told me that after the first 3 games we'd have picked up 3 points (effectively a draw a game) and finished with a neutral (0) goal difference I'd have snapped your hand off.

Even better, we've played quite well and competed in all 3 games, and could have possibly come away with better.

I'm pumped for the season.

The biggest positive I can take is Delph.

He has managed to take the late season form into this new one, which would point towards this being a general improvement rather than a purple patch of form.

After that it is the defence;  At periods we actually look tight, which is pleasing considering the opposition we have faced so far.

Everything is a positive compared to last season. If anything, we as fans need to manage our expectations because after the Arsenal game there was a danger we would use that as the expected result for every game. The one note of caution is that they are still a young team that are still developing and they do have some way to go. We've come on leaps and bounds. We knew we would do and it's nice that we have done that. Most of our new signings look properly useful too already. As has been said above, Okore looks like the star we hoped he'd be. I like the look of Tonev and Luna really impressed me against Liverpool. Delph has been the standout and Gabby has continued where he left off last season. Benteke has already shown he's no one season wonder and while some of the lads still need to get fully up to speed (Lowton, Weimann, Westwood) I've seen enough to suggest my 8/9/10th place prediction is not out of the question at all.

The fact we've already broken last season's attendance record after one home game this season speaks volumes for the fans' optimism too. It's a fun time to be a Villa fan.

Did not realise that, just shows that the whole fanbase has a renewed optonmism.

FWIW i also think the diffence is looking tighter.

Players - Delph, Gabby, Benteke, Okore, Luna  have been impressive for me so far.  Benteke hasn't been at his Beast best but has still managed 3 goals in 3 games.  Scary.

Fans - The optimisim is great and I think the fans are excited and fully behind the team.  Think the fans will stick with the team through the good and bad times in this season. 

Management - Some astute signings by Lambert and I really expect one more.  The all important one more!  An AM that can make us better in the final third. PL's decision to play 442 with Bacuna was a bad one imo.  Lets hope he doesnt make too many bad decisions.

9 attempts on target says it all.

It would say a LOT if wasn't completely untrue. Surely you watched the game ?

We had THREE shots on target. Benteke had two and Tonev had one.

That's still two more than Liverpool granted, but it certainly isn't NINE

The stats don't lie! Here's what WhoScored has to say about Villa's strengths, based on our first three matches of the campaign:

avfc.PNG

DEFENDING SET PIECES - Strong, it says there. That's what it says! I am not making it up!

COMING BACK FROM LOSING POSITIONS - very strong!

PROTECTING THE LEAD - Strong!

These are not stats I would have thought possible last season. I know it's only three games in but that's very encouraging, especially given our opposition in those three games.

not wishing at all to spoil the mood of positivity, which I share, but those stats are demented.

On one of the other forums someone used to a game by game comparison of the previous season and this season, including goal difference.  Really interesting table and a good way to show progress or lack of.  If I could be bothered I would recreate it.  But I can't.  Anyone?

Â