• Westwood
    • Delph
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • El Ahmadi (for Lowton 65)
    • Tonev (for Weimann 73)
    • Helenius (for Westwood 83)

Well frustrated to say the least bacuna was awful and tonev is going to be such a frustrating player. I was red in the face after that freekick.

It was totally brainless when we had Benteke and the 6 ft 5 Helenius in the box.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Much, much better in the second half.

Negatives first:

Bacuna did look very nervous in the first half.  However, some of the stick he was getting on here was atrocious.  Thankfully it didn't sound like the fans at VP were quite so quick to get on his back.  Couple of good touches and very energetic though, and he improved in the second half (as did almost the entire team).

Brad looked typically solid in goal.

Weimann was fairly poor - I've been saying for a while that I really like him but there are areas of his game he really needs to work on, as shown today when he was constantly closed down.  However, I'm sure he has the determination to improve.

I'm still not totally convinced by Vlaar, but don't think he's quite as bad as others are suggesting.  Conceding one goal against Liverpool (from what I think was their only shot on target) certainly doesn't suggest that we were defensively poor.

The first half performance overall was sloppy and we couldn't get a foot on the ball for the first thirty minutes.

Benteke was kept fairly quiet, but still showed that he's the kind of quality forward who can pull something out of nothing.  Unfortunately, he couldn't stick one of his very few chances in the back of the net.

Positives:
Delph is very dynamic and getting better and better.  That said, although his aggression is an asset, he needs to stop putting his foot in needlessly and getting bookings, particularly early ones.

KEA looks much, much better than last season.  Petrov-esque.  We might have done better if he had started.

I think Okore looks like the real deal.  Super composed and has bags of pace at the back, enabling the full backs (particularly on the right) to really push forward.  He's also very composed with the ball at his feet and will help us get up the pitch by confidently striding out of defence, although he was rescued by Brad at the end when he was a little too casual.

Helenius didn't look too bad from the few touches he had.

Luna is tremendously hard working and clearly becoming a real fan favourite, and deservedly so.

• Like 2

We looked knackered first half.

One phrase too sum up today - we could have played all night and not scored.

Were 3 points better off than I reckoned we would of had after the first 3 games. We desperately need that no.10 though. With all our second half prodding and probing benteke was feeding off scraps. We look more composed than last season though.

The lads get the benefit of the doubt for the first half being that Okore, Bacuna and Luna are still bedding in, and that miscommunication between centre-backs meant Sturridge got free for the winner. Also, if Liverpool sustain today's first-half performance for a whole match they'll beat one or two of last season's top four this season. Kolo Toure's patch was a vulnerable area we could've done more to exploit, but we had our chances and deserved a point. Not to be, alas.

Just about deserved to lose. Couldn't break Liverpool down when they sat back which just exposed our need for a playmaker. Starting Bacuna didn't work and KEA showed when he came on that he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place. Westwood offered nothing and I'd have KEA ahead of him for the next game. I hope Sylla starts next time too. On a positive note, Okore/Vlaar looked good again (other then the goal). Other then them and perhaps Delph in the second-half I thought the rest of the team were substandard. Perhaps the mid-week game did take it's toll on us? 

Edited by Isa

Okore was good, love seeing his confidence grow. He'll be great. Hope I could say the same about Vlaar. I really think it's time for someone else, even if today we had worse players.

Weimann was horrible, Bacuna very bad, and Tonev was just all over the place when he came on. He has a very long way to be a player on this level.

Luna was positive, Delph quite good.

I know, 3 points and a 0 goal difference after those 3 opening games is something to be positive about but I just can't help feeling really deflated after that game. Massively disappointed to lose that. I think Liverpool were there for the taking.  After all the positive feelings of this past week, we've still just lost our first home game of the season without scoring.  It's clear we're lacking a cutting edge and I'm growing increasingly concerned about Vlaar. He inspires almost no confidence IMO.

On the plus side, I bloody love Delph. I felt as if he was a class above everyone else in a Villa shirt today and nobody else was quite on his level, in that he tried a few things, played passes, made runs etc. that nobody else read. 

Why the **** are Sky still banging on about the 'penalty' for Liverpool?  Clearly not one, as shown immediately and clearly by their own replays, but that doesn't stop the commentators, pundits and interviewer all suggesting that it probably should have been - even though Liverpool won anyway!  clearings in the woods.

Obvious has been pointed out, poor first half and much better in the second. Quality finish by Sturridge.

We were too narrow, didn't get the service to Benteke but saying that their keeper pulled off two quality saves for the clean sheet. We had our chances even in first half but we couldn't get them on target.

An attacking mid to link things up before the window closes. Defense look pretty good but undone by a quality goal.

Same old problems in defence.  Vlaar comes rushing out and we concede a goal.  No attacking threat from midfield, and Bacuna's was the worst debut I've seen since the Djemba twins.

There was no way that was Vlaar's fault. I'm not sure how you think we would have been able to stop the goal if he hadn't at least try to intercept the ball that put Sturridge in on goal. Okore got pulled out of position and failed to track him back into the box. 

I thought the defence was generally a lot better today, look more solid with Vlaar and Okore in the centre and Luna on the left. Our problem today was one we've had for years, we don't have enough creativity to unlock defences at home.

• Like 2

We started out like we were afraid of Liverpool.

Defence was pretty solid throughout however - as far as I can remember their only chance was the goal.

Could have came away with draw.

Leandro Bacuna looks like the next Ali Dia - the most useless displays I've seen from a Villa player in the last 6 month.

Good performances from Vlaar, Okore, Delph & Gabby

• Like 2

Â