• Westwood
    • Delph
    • Weimann
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • El Ahmadi (for Lowton 65)
    • Tonev (for Weimann 73)
    • Helenius (for Westwood 83)

Just flicking through the thread Weimann has had surprisingly little criticism from the game. I'd never knock his effort but absolutely nothing came off for him, I thought it was pretty surprising how much Enrique dominated him. I suppose Enrique is quite a physical full-back though. 

I had mixed feelings about this game.

We rely on a counter attacking game, that lends itself to being better away from home.we had just faced 3 teams who can pass you to death, this young team that are learning to play with each other had to chase the ball a bit in all 3 games. LIverpool was obviously concerned with our counter attacking threat as they closed us down as if they was playing Man U.

VIlla looked a bit leggy to me on Saturday and understandably to a degree.

However,We do need a Merson/Nilis/Carbone or even Solano type that can unlock defences particularly at home, where teams will do a LIverpool on us.

We have come a long way and these 3 games have shown that....it will be interesting to see the rate of progress moving forward.

Ps I was surprised Sylla was missing having been promising in the games he has played, but I guess he has to give players game time.

PPS...Home form will be my main concern this season.

Edited by TRO

We lost to Liverpool, a good side. I don't know what we are panicking about our performances against arsenal and Chelsea are what we should talk about. Our expectations were definantly too high for this game. We had 3 games in one week and tbf I didn't expect much but a draw at best.

• Like 1

Sorry lads, but at this stage of the season, I don't think we can blame 3 games in a week, tiredness, etc for that brutal first half performance. Painful to watch. Made the mistake of being excited all week about this game but it was the same ol same ol villa from last season. Much better second half but to be honest, for all our pressing, we are devoid of creativity. We just run up the pitch and then our midfield don't know what to do with it. I'm never confident we'll create a few clear-cut opportunities, and if we do, more often than not we miss them! Anyway, rant over, bring on the next bunch.

...but they were not 3 ordinary games...they were against teams who can KEEP the ball and that is what can wear you down

For a work in progress team it was tough.

However, VIlla's progress to date is based on a counter attacking game....we need to progress in being able to break teams down when they play us tight.....we are not there just yet.

Sorry lads, but at this stage of the season, I don't think we can blame 3 games in a week, tiredness, etc for that brutal first half performance. Painful to watch. Made the mistake of being excited all week about this game but it was the same ol same ol villa from last season. Much better second half but to be honest, for all our pressing, we are devoid of creativity. We just run up the pitch and then our midfield don't know what to do with it. I'm never confident we'll create a few clear-cut opportunities, and if we do, more often than not we miss them! Anyway, rant over, bring on the next bunch.

At this stage of the season a team is not ready to play 3 tough games at the tempo you have to against these teams. You're still building up to full match fitness. If we were 5 or 6 games in then I'd agree with you.

Fair point. As has been said in post match commentary though, that doesn't explain why we were far better in the second half. If we were tired, we'd have been as bad if not worse. Anyway, the next few games will tell us whether we've improved as significantly as we think/hope.

First time I've been on here since the match. Was a little disappointing as I thought we'd beat them, which shows how much we've grown over the past six months really.

First half was turgid. Great goal from Sturridge from their only shot on target from what I can remember. Bacuna I thought was a bit out of place, but it's his first game so I don't know why he's getting much criticism - give him time. Saying that, I've no idea why he got MotM!

I thought Delph looked a different level, and he's obviously continued to improve from last season. Very promising - he looked quite a player. Liverpool got the goal and sat back, and we couldn't break them down. No tragedy, they're a good team this year even with Ratty. Can see them threatening for top four this season. Three tough games in a week, and three points, with some good performances. Very promising.

FWIW, after some awful refereeing already this season in our matches, I thought Clattenburg was excellent..

• Like 2

I think Villa need to stop congratulating themselves on being defeated. There's been a few too many self-congratulatory articles coming out of the club in the last few days. Losing at home to Liverpool isn't anything to be proud of.

• Like 1

First time I've been on here since the match. Was a little disappointing as I thought we'd beat them, which shows how much we've grown over the past six months really.

First half was turgid. Great goal from Sturridge from their only shot on target from what I can remember. Bacuna I thought was a bit out of place, but it's his first game so I don't know why he's getting much criticism - give him time. Saying that, I've no idea why he got MotM!

I thought Delph looked a different level, and he's obviously continued to improve from last season. Very promising - he looked quite a player. Liverpool got the goal and sat back, and we couldn't break them down. No tragedy, they're a good team this year even with Ratty. Can see them threatening for top four this season. Three tough games in a week, and three points, with some good performances. Very promising.

FWIW, after some awful refereeing already this season in our matches, I thought Clattenburg was excellent..

More or less my thoughts exactly, just add that Luna's starting to look a real player and Okore is gonna be a beast for us.

I think Villa need to stop congratulating themselves on being defeated. There's been a few too many self-congratulatory articles coming out of the club in the last few days. Losing at home to Liverpool isn't anything to be proud of.

My thoughts exactly, we rolled over yet again to one of the worst Liverpool teams I can recall. Allowing an aged Gerrard and Henderson to dominate the centre of the pitch is unacceptable. To lose our home record in the first game is really piss poor albeit the PL did us no favours making us play 3 times in a week did us no favours at all

I personally thought a selection error cost us the game on Saturday, and that El Ahmadi should have started and Bacuna stayed on the bench. From what little I have seen of Bacuna, I see him more as a wide player than a centre midfielder, and feel he could have come on for Andi in the second half.

Bottom line is that you can't afford to give Premier League teams a goal head started and expect to get anything from the game very often, nevermind 3 times in a week. We have got to start playing for the whole 94 minutes (+-), and I'm sure we will soon enough.

We need to see if players like Bacuna can play, given a chance. Patience is always going to be the key with building a team with players from unproven sources. The Arsenal game may have done us no favours, were expecting to much to soon. God help this forum if Newcastle beat us.

Â