The "bronzing" of football players

Marka Ragnos

Anyone notice in the last several years that a very similar new (new to me, anyway) photographic finishing effect gets added to the preponderance of images of footballers.

The effect, in my mind, gives people a kind of "bronzed" or metallic look. Something funny with the contrast levels, but I'm not really a photography expert so I can't say much. Doesn't matter what the original skin tone is, everyone emerges with looking like a polished tin-soldiers look.

I see it everywhere, and it drives me nuts. Here's just one of a zillion examples.

Here's another. Here's yet another

Finally, here's one that's particularly OTT. Ugh. Are they men, or are they (rather silly) statues?

I'd be very interested to know if anyone with photography or Photoshop savvy can explain this.

Why does it bug me? God knows. Not for any important reason. It's just become a kind of image-making cliche.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral
  • Like 1

Not really sure if you're wanting to get that off your chest, ask why they do it, or ask how they do it - or a combination of all three?  Either way, in a way I can see why you find it irritating, but I guess the intention is to make them seem like the icons/heroes that fans crave, and that the media thrive on.  All the images you have posted are marketing shots, so I can understand the point from an 'artistic' point of view (whether it's your cup of tea or otherwise).

Not really sure if you're wanting to get that off your chest, ask why they do it, or ask how they do it - or a combination of all three?  Either way, in a way I can see why you find it irritating, but I guess the intention is to make them seem like the icons/heroes that fans crave, and that the media thrive on.  All the images you have posted are marketing shots, so I can understand the point from an 'artistic' point of view (whether it's your cup of tea or otherwise).

I think I've figured it out, answered my own question, but it took awhile. I think it may be a Photoshop setting called "Hard Light"??? It's kind of odd how it's become so de rigueur. Ripe for satire, that's for sure. 

Some of those images actually give me a chill of sympathetic embarrassment. It's that combination of the "hard light" and the oooooo-so-deadly-serious faces. I just feel like, "Please."

It`s more than that. The companies that makes these ads and so forth go through a lot of processes in setting the light correctly when taking the picture, adjusting different settings in ps to get the result they want. This is normal practice and I can tell you one thing, it is not going away. 

Â