Short break ideas? Tallinn or Budapest?

donnie

Want a 4-5 day city break. Done most of the big boys like Paris, Berlin, barca etc so looking for something else.

Was considering tallinn or Budapest?? Anyone been and which is best?? I've been Budapest and there didn't seem much there and was dirty. However I'm sure I missed a lot so tempted to go back.

Any other suggestions like iceland, Finland, places in Germany and Switzerland people have been to?? Must be enough to do to keep me occupied for 5 days

dont say that im going budapest in couple weeks!

if your going 4-5 days why not go visit boston lovely place

Looking for European destinations. Yeah thought budapest was a dirty hole. I seen all the attractions and wasn't impressed. However the spa was amazing. Even though I didn't like it I want to go back. There has to be a reason everyone likes it. Sure I missed something as seemed nothing there. Couldn't find restaurants either Edited by donnie

Could combine Helsinki with Tallinn. Fly into Finland, couple of nights there then across the water to Tallinn (about 2 hours) and spend three nights there and fly back from Tallinn. I really like Tallinn... beautiful place. Helsinki was ok, nothing special but i'm sure you could fill up a couple of days there

Have you been to Amsterdam?  I'd assume that's covered in your 'big' cities but if not, that's an option.

It really depends what you're looking for, too.  Are you going on your own, with mates, family, or a partner?

I did five days in Florence/Pisa a couple of years ago and had a great time.  I read an article the other day that put Lisbon on my list of places to visit, with a couple of days in Sintra too.

dont say that im going budapest in couple weeks!

if your going 4-5 days why not go visit boston lovely place

Looking for European destinations. Yeah thought budapest was a dirty hole. I seen all the attractions and wasn't impressed. However the spa was amazing. Even though I didn't like it I want to go back. There has to be a reason everyone likes it. Sure I missed something as seemed nothing there. Couldn't find restaurants either

Seems like a lovely place. You should go again.

Could combine Helsinki with Tallinn. Fly into Finland, couple of nights there then across the water to Tallinn (about 2 hours) and spend three nights there and fly back from Tallinn. I really like Tallinn... beautiful place. Helsinki was ok, nothing special but i'm sure you could fill up a couple of days there

I like this idea actually. Is there much to do in talinn to keep you occupied for a few days??

Hotel Viru is a big and in my opinion ok hotel in the center of everything in Tallinn. In the hotel you can take a tour in the KGB museum, which I would recommend (you don't have to live in the hotel but book beforehand). Other than that there is an old town just very close, you should visit that aswell. Tallinn is small, but maybe two-three days should go quick. And ladies are beautiful.

Hotel Viru is a big and in my opinion ok hotel in the center of everything in Tallinn. In the hotel you can take a tour in the KGB museum, which I would recommend (you don't have to live in the hotel but book beforehand). Other than that there is an old town just very close, you should visit that aswell. Tallinn is small, but maybe two-three days should go quick. And ladies are beautiful.

Cheers for that. Seems like a cheap place as well... What you think of Budapest then??

Cheers for that. Seems like a cheap place as well... What you think of Budapest then??

Tallinn is not as cheap as it was, but it's not bad. Helsinki is a bigger somewhat more expensive version of Tallinn, with older Russian, but not Soviet influence in architecture etc. The ferry over is a good idea. It used to be filled with drunken Finns, but not anymore. Mostly families. There are several different ferries (some take two hours, some longer) with different prices depending on timetables mostly.

Sorry, I haven't been to Budapest.

Budapest a hole? What? 

I'd fully recommend Sarajevo and you could get the train to Mostar (2 hours away and quite simply unbelievable views) for the night and come back the next day. 

Had credit card cloned twice while visiting many many cities all around the world with work and holidays etc. Both times were in Budapest in so called reputable hotels (Hilton and Marriott) - didn't like the place either. Would not rush back unless had to.

Personally I wouldn't spend 4 or 5 days in any city , you'll see it all fairly quickly and end up bored

Budapest is by far Europes most beautiful city , but it does have its issue with graffiti , to call it dirty or a hole though would be the daftest words ever uttered since " no more boom and bust " ... For what its worth I lived there for a year and never had any issues with cards or crime , I went to Bratislava for a day and had my card cloned ... These things can happen when you travel I guess ...

Helsinki and Tallinn as a twin city break is a good idea but you'd still have 2 days left over tbh

Probably the only cities in Europe where you could fill 5 days and not be bored would be Rome , Paris or London

• 2 weeks later...
Milfner, on 23 Aug 2013 - 7:57 PM, said:

Budapest a hole? What? 

I'd fully recommend Sarajevo and you could get the train to Mostar (2 hours away and quite simply unbelievable views) for the night and come back the next day. 

Just had a look at Mostar  looks pretty nice

Next years plan is to knock off Albania , Macedonia , Kosovo , Serbia and Bosnia so Mostar is going on the list of places to visit  , thanks for the tip

• Like 1

Milfner, on 23 Aug 2013 - 7:57 PM, said:

Budapest a hole? What? 

Next years plan is to knock off Albania , Macedonia , Kosovo , Serbia and Bosnia so Mostar is going on the list of places to visit  , thanks for the tip

I wouldn't recommend staying in Belgrade too long (if you're going there that is). Stayed there for 2 nights and was ready to go after the first night. 

Milfner, on 10 Sept 2013 - 3:52 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 10 Sept 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Milfner, on 23 Aug 2013 - 7:57 PM, said:Milfner, on 23 Aug 2013 - 7:57 PM, said:

Budapest a hole? What? 

I wouldn't recommend staying in Belgrade too long (if you're going there that is). Stayed there for 2 nights and was ready to go after the first night. 

yeah , you may have noticed from other travel threads that I don't hang around in places  ... I'd probably do one night there unless I get wind of some great drinking places and then I might extend it .. they have a man made beach on the Danube in summer time and a beer festival that could tempt me :)

Belgrade will most likely be the "In " hub as you can't fly to Bosnia direct from the UK to my knowledge , so it's either Jet from Belgrade or in via Croatia 

Â