Southampton

NurembergVillan

Southampton appoint new manager

Southampton have appointed Mauricio Pellegrino as their new manager.

The 45-year-old Argentine replaces Claude Puel, who was fired after one season in charge earlier in June.

Pellegrino stood down as Alaves manager in late May, after losing the Spanish Cup final to Barcelona and finishing ninth in La Liga with a club that had been promoted the season before.

"My philosophy and the culture of the club will work well," said Pellegrino, who has signed a three-year deal.

"I want to win matches, be successful and develop a team spirit where everyone gives 100% and supports each other.

"I am excited and passionate about what the future holds."

Southampton vice-chairman Les Reed said former Liverpool defender Pellegrino "impressed us with his depth of knowledge, motivation and ability" adding that he "quickly became our first choice".

I can't say I know alot about this guy, anyone else ?

On 6/18/2017 at 22:39, Zatman said:

I suppose its different and a nice little dig at Liverpool :lol:

Who are the players?

I hardly followed them last year; didn't even know Puel was fired.

13 minutes ago, NeilS said:

The 45-year-old Argentine replaces Claude Puel, who was fired after one season in charge earlier in June.

Pellegrino stood down as Alaves manager in late May, after losing the Spanish Cup final to Barcelona and finishing ninth in La Liga with a club that had been promoted the season before.

"My philosophy and the culture of the club will work well," said Pellegrino, who has signed a three-year deal.

"I want to win matches, be successful and develop a team spirit where everyone gives 100% and supports each other.

Southampton vice-chairman Les Reed said former Liverpool defender Pellegrino "impressed us with his depth of knowledge, motivation and ability" adding that he "quickly became our first choice".

Ask Paul Merson and 'Tommo'...they will have the lowdown :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Looks to have a similar pedigree to Pochettino.  I remember him playing for Liverpool briefly but don't know much else.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Looks to have a similar pedigree to Pochettino.  I remember him playing for Liverpool briefly but don't know much else.

I can't even remember that! Haha, but yes, I think they are hoping to find their next  Pochettino. They have had success with that route before, why not try again I suppose.

Really need Pellegrini to come back to the prem soon.

"Southampton's Mauricio Pellegrino will take on Spurs's Maurico Pochettino trying to bounce back from last week's defeat to Manuel Pellegrini's outfit."

Trying saying that after a pint. :lol:

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Really need Pellegrini to come back to the prem soon.

"Southampton's Mauricio Pellegrino will take on Spurs's Maurico Pochettino trying to bounce back from last week's defeat to Manuel Pellegrini's outfit."

Trying saying that after a pint. :lol:

Ray Wilkins says hi

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Ask Paul Merson and 'Tommo'...they will have the lowdown :)

Nah mate, should av appointed Tim Sheeeerwood, why didn't het get shot? Faaancy forin managers coming over here takin our jobs. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Another one year deal. If I had the 'career' and bank balance ST has had then I would look that smug too.

95 games in 18 years. 

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I didn't have a clue he was even at Southampton. Richard Wright was another, went from future England number one to just bench warming at x number of clubs including Man.City.

To be fair to Wright, he at least had more of a career than Taylor. Wright seemed to periodically 'retire' then come back, was basically a regular for his clubs until 2003, sat on the bench for a few years before going back to Ipswich, was a regular for a season there, then back to being a bench warmer. 

Four seasons at Man City and not a single game played, I'd be absolutely intrigued to find out how much they were paying him for that. His job for four years was to show up to training, knowing that he'd never feature on match day, must have been the most stress free job in the world.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

To be fair to Wright, he at least had more of a career than Taylor. Wright seemed to periodically 'retire' then come back, was basically a regular for his clubs until 2003, sat on the bench for a few years before going back to Ipswich, was a regular for a season there, then back to being a bench warmer. 

Four seasons at Man City and not a single game played, I'd be absolutely intrigued to find out how much they were paying him for that. His job for four years was to show up to training, knowing that he'd never feature on match day, must have been the most stress free job in the world.

According to reports Wright earned £7k per week at Man City for the 4 years he never played. Plus jetting all over the world, first class travel etc

Not a bad job if you can get it! 

• 5 weeks later...

Chinese takeover of Southampton completed

Southampton Football Club have confirmed a new “partnership” with the Gao family of China.

Pro Soccer Talk understands that the Gao family have purchased roughly 80 percent of Saints for a fee close to $272 million, while current owner Katharina Liebherr will own the other 20 percent of the club.

Through their Lander Sports company Mr Jisheng Gao and his daughter, Nelly Gao, have been pursuing a deal for Saints for almost 12 months, dating back to November 2016.

There had been reports that the Gao family had failed in their bid to buy Southampton with the Premier League requesting more details regarding the fit and proper persons test for new ownership, but with a few weeks left in the transfer window, good news has arrived for Southampton.

It is believed significant investment will now arrive at the club with Mauricio Pellegrino tasked with pushing Saints towards a European return and challenging for the domestic cups.

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/08/14/chinese-takeover-of-southampton-completed/ 

• 6 months later...
Â