Southampton

NurembergVillan

£16m for chambers apparently, crazy money with how little he has played.

Southampton have a lot of money but need to invest wisely on a lot of players. What's Koeman like in the transfer market?

£16m? I'll be honest I don't think i've seen him play... barely heard of him! Crazy money nowadays

Is King Kenny back in charge of Liverpool?

Paying silly money for these Southampton players.

If Koeman spends that money wisely they could end up being better this season

Yep, rinse and repeat, happened to us with players we had scouted and bought well, happened to Southampton with their youth players, will happen over and over, nothing to stop it

The funny thing would be if Southampton bought really well with the money had another great season and then it happened again next summer, then other fans with the blinkers on might notice that it's not right

It's all well and good, but this is their owner's one chance to make some serious profit from the club.

I'm not sure how much they were bought for, or how much they have put into the club but it can't be any more than what they are making from these transfers. I don't remember them signing anyone of note so far? Seems like they are taking the cash and running.

I think it shows just how hard it is for any team to break into the elite. We spent loads under the early Lerner years and got to 6th. Southampton only came 9th and there entire team has been butchered. I am  not shedding tears for them but its brutal at the top and might make any potential buyer for Villa think again.Why bother?

Edited by The Fun Factory

Spurs also have had their team dismantled over the years, they were a mid table club for a lot of the 2000's. You can go from mid table to challenging for Champions League, the key is replacing the players you have lost (Modric, Bale, Carrick, Berbatov, Keane etc), with adequate replacements, it's a lot harder than it sounds. Getting the right transfers in after losing so many of your key players. But it is possible. 

Spurs also have had their team dismantled over the years, they were a mid table club for a lot of the 2000's. You can go from mid table to challenging for Champions League, the key is replacing the players you have lost (Modric, Bale, Carrick, Berbatov, Keane etc), with adequate replacements, it's a lot harder than it sounds. Getting the right transfers in after losing so many of your key players. But it is possible.

You use all of the money to find replacements. Something Lerner refused to do because he had already blown so much on average players that we couldn't get rid of. The ones that were half decent we sold on the cheap because some how how they wernt good enough. The last 5 years have been a disaster.

Southampton have lost a lot of players but made a lot of money. Let's see how much of that money is reinvested. I have a feeling quite a lot of it will be.

• Like 3

You use all of the money to find replacements. Something Lerner refused to do because he had already blown so much on average players that we couldn't get rid of. The ones that were half decent we sold on the cheap because some how how they wernt good enough. The last 5 years have been a disaster.

Southampton have lost a lot of players but made a lot of money. Let's see how much of that money is reinvested. I have a feeling quite a lot of it will be.

Yep, they could either go the Villa route or take the Spurs route and re invest in wonderkids that might develop into a world class players, who they can later sell on to Madrid/Barcelona for £60+ mill...

Edited by AVFCforever1991

This for me shows all thats wrong with the system.  How can England lose a great prospect to arsenals reserve team?

Its a stupid move from Chambers!

According to a few Saints fans I know he is the best prospect to come out of their system in a while....and thats saying something with their production line!

This for me shows all thats wrong with the system.  How can England lose a great prospect to arsenals reserve team?

Happened with Sinclair and Rodwell at Man City. Players would rather earn more and sit on the bench that play first team football

This for me shows all thats wrong with the system. How can England lose a great prospect to arsenals reserve team?

According to a few Saints fans I know he is the best prospect to come out of their system in a while....and thats saying something with their production line!

Young English players have generally done ok at Arsenal. It's a squad game these days. He will get plenty of games.

Â